This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How to make special characters (foreign) appear properly?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
d
daigo
Voice

How to make special characters (foreign) appear properly?

Post by daigo »

I am writing a script that includes responding with characters like: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

But these characters are not displaying properly from eggdrop, even though my IRC client can copy/paste and also view them from other users that have said it in the channel.

Also, it is not reading the characters properly (e.g. I tried to write a script that whenever someone says "(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻" then my bot responds with something else. It shows up in eggdrop log as "(â¯Â°â¡Â°)â¯ï¸µ â»ââ»" so I tried to put "(â¯Â°â¡Â°)â¯ï¸µ â»ââ»" in the script, but it still doesn't respond to that).

How can I include these characters in eggdrop?
Get_A_Fix
Master

Post by Get_A_Fix »

You'll have to regsubex all, or string map, then match with preset replies.

I am sure this is not the first post in egghelp about this, so there may also possibly be an answer available for you, if you search. I don't want to do everything for you, that is not how people learn. There is an answer though, so keep looking :)
We explore.. and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge.. and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias.. and you call us criminals.
d
daigo
Voice

Post by daigo »

I thought this is an issue with character sets in eggdrop, not a scripting issue. I already tried string map and there's no manual page for TCL regsubex
t
thommey
Halfop

Post by thommey »

It might be caused by eggdrop not supporting Utf8 properly, you can try following the steps on http://eggwiki.org/Utf-8 to get it to work.