This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Merged userfile entries and segment violation

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
mcdarby
Halfop

Merged userfile entries and segment violation

Post by mcdarby »

Hi, I have a problem going on that I don't know how to fix now. Something happened that caused my user entries in the user file to get merged with one another. I tried to fix that by shutting down eggdrop and attempting to re-add where the user entries are missing. But now I am seeing this happening.

[09:53:59] Loaded chanlimit.tcl v1.5 by slennox (active on: #foresthaven, #cuddlehaven, #furry)
[09:53:59] * trivia.tcl by DarkMist` loaded.
[09:53:59] * 300 questions in /home/emcdarby/servdir/scripts/trivia/trivia.questions
[09:53:59] * Last context: tclhash.c/242 []
[09:53:59] * Please REPORT this BUG!
[09:53:59] * Check doc/BUG-REPORT on how to do so.
[09:53:59] * Wrote DEBUG
[09:53:59] * SEGMENT VIOLATION -- CRASHING!
Segmentation fault: 11
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Merged userfile entries and segment violation

Post by willyw »

mcdarby wrote: Hi, I have a problem going on that I don't know how to fix now. Something happened that caused my user entries in the user file to get merged with one another. I tried to fix that by shutting down eggdrop and attempting to re-add where the user entries are missing.
By what method did you attempt to re-add? If you tried editing the user file manually, using nano or some editor, - it is easy to introduce problems.

If it were me, I would start over, like this:
Be sure the bot is not running.
Rename the current .user file.
Start the bot with -m switch. i.e. : ./eggdrop -m eggdrop.conf
Say Hello to bot.
Set my password.

Attempt to read the old .user file, using less filename.user
If I could garner any info from it, with which to re-add any users, I would only use partyline commands, for example:
.+user
.+host

In other words, from now on, I would only edit the .user file by using the built in partyline commands.

I hope this helps.
mcdarby
Halfop

Post by mcdarby »

willyw wrote:By what method did you attempt to re-add? If you tried editing the user file manually, using nano or some editor, - it is easy to introduce problems.

If it were me, I would start over, like this:
Be sure the bot is not running.
Rename the current .user file.
Start the bot with -m switch. i.e. : ./eggdrop -m eggdrop.conf
Say Hello to bot.
Set my password.

Attempt to read the old .user file, using less filename.user
If I could garner any info from it, with which to re-add any users, I would only use partyline commands, for example:
.+user
.+host

In other words, from now on, I would only edit the .user file by using the built in partyline commands.

I hope this helps.
Well, I'll probably need a new way to blacklist, since a lot of the entries are blacklist entries in the userfile that I had with many hosts listed. I can copy the entries out of my userfile before I do anything else and put them in a text file, meaning I have to remove the --host from each and every one of them to use with a script that can check entries against the notecard, by which I would then need a custom script done.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

mcdarby wrote: Well, I'll probably need a new way to blacklist, since a lot of the entries are blacklist entries in the userfile that I had with many hosts listed. I can copy the entries out of my userfile before I do anything else and put them in a text file, meaning I have to remove the --host from each and every one of them to use with a script that can check entries against the notecard, by which I would then need a custom script done.
If you get them all entered again in a new .user file, be sure to make a back up copy of that .user file.

As for needing a separate list file - why? Just do what you did... enter them in the .user file, but don't monkey around with the .user file with any other editor... just use the bot's built in editing functions from now on.
Why not? It's easy.