This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

On join message/notice/action flood

Requests for complete scripts or modifications/fixes for scripts you didn't write. Response not guaranteed, and no thread bumping!
g
gamble27
Halfop

On join message/notice/action flood

Post by gamble27 »

I request a code to auto ban and set modes if a user joins a channel and within the 1st second of joining the channel sends a msg/notice/action. usually these are flooders who does that.

regards
s
simo
Revered One

Post by simo »

depending on IRCD version your using but there are some channel modes to prevent that
g
gamble27
Halfop

thanks for your interest

Post by gamble27 »

i am on Dalnet, and they dont have any modes to prevent such floods.

Thanks
s
simo
Revered One

Post by simo »

what you could do is set channel to +m and autovoice them with a set delay that way you have more time to deal with the abuse while they wont be able to speak for like 10 sec or something

or you could voice registered users instant as they join and have a delay for everyone else

( in both cases make sure to mute channel with +m for this to work )
Get_A_Fix
Master

Post by Get_A_Fix »

simo wrote: or you could voice registered users instant as they join and have a delay for everyone else
( in both cases make sure to mute channel with +m for this to work )
I find this method to be one of the more effective antispam initiatives. Most flooders use unregistered nicknames, I have only ever witnessed one instance in 15 years on DALnet where the drone bots were registering in order to spam large channel's.
We explore.. and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge.. and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias.. and you call us criminals.
g
gamble27
Halfop

Post by gamble27 »

Hello, that can be done but we dont usually +v everyone thus this method is not really something we keen to use.

Regards
Get_A_Fix
Master

Post by Get_A_Fix »

gamble27 wrote:Hello, that can be done but we dont usually +v everyone thus this method is not really something we keen to use.

Regards
I understand it's not 'usually' done, but whatever stops the flooding :)

Maybe you can +m the channel and +v everyone who is registered (a DALnet specific autovoice script for registered nicknames can be found here) for a short time until the flooder stops targeting your channel. It can be a short-term fix for a long-term problem. Otherwise, apart from Allprotection.tcl, a more permanent solution could be a great script that is already shipped with eggdrop; ~/eggdrop/scripts/sentinel.tcl

sentinel.tcl is a bit tricky to configure but once it is, it works quickly and effectively.
We explore.. and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge.. and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias.. and you call us criminals.
g
gamble27
Halfop

Post by gamble27 »

i am afraid the proposed solution will not work as well, if the tcl can be implemented then it will help many people.

Thanks
s
simo
Revered One

Post by simo »

oh i forgot to mention dalnet has chan mode +M wich allows only registered users to speak that way you only have to voice non registered with delay

this is about the only solution on dalnet else you might be banning possible regular users for joining and saying hello the first second they enter wich would make no sense
g
gamble27
Halfop

Post by gamble27 »

yes +M is there but that is something we dont wish to use as well, rarely user will be able to join and greet within the first second (though i believe it may happen once in a blue moon). We are currently facing such flood in huge numbers and consistently, thus is tcl has become necessity.

Regards
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

The only way right now I could see this being implemented would be by monitoring msg/notice/action and see if current time - the time user joined (thanks to getchanjoin) is within the time frame you wanted then do whatever punishment.

To remove some of the stress this would put on the bot I would also maintain an array with users that have been checked in the past and the time since they joined is way higher than the time frame you wanted.

The +M channel mode seems like a good option. Want to speak? Register! No? Tough luck then.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
s
simo
Revered One

Post by simo »

yes +M is there but that is something we dont wish to use as well, rarely user will be able to join and greet within the first second (though i believe it may happen once in a blue moon). We are currently facing such flood in huge numbers and consistently, thus is tcl has become necessity.

its not like u set these modes for eternity you set them whenever flood accures and have them on timer for like 30 sec or whatever to be lifted after duration that way flood is halted and you could get rid of remaining uninvited guests
in channel and if you dont wish to use any chan mode at all then i suggest to learn to live with floodings and abuse cause its daily routine on dalnet and they dont offer anything what so ever to deal with it its fire at will any 5 year old can disrupt their channels