This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Did I do this wrong?

Help for those learning Tcl or writing their own scripts.
D
Draknon
Voice

Did I do this wrong?

Post by Draknon »

I wrote this and thought it would work...

Code: Select all

bind join - "{vivi}D!*@*" vi_join
proc vi_join {nick uhost handle chan text} {
    putserv "privmsg $chan :\001ACTION watches as $nick enters and goes over and whispers in Draknon's ear... 5Sir, your baby girl is here. 3Welcome home pixie princess vivi."
}
purpose= when the person with nick {vivi}D joins the channel it should do the action in the channel of ...
watches as $nick enters and goes over and whispers in Draknon's ear... 5Sir, your baby girl is here. 3Welcome home pixie princess vivi.

It is not working and I see no error msg.
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Did I do this wrong?

Post by willyw »

Draknon wrote: ...
It is not working and I see no error msg.
Then something is wrong. Because you should see error messages.

Perhaps you don't have enough flags on your console.
Do: .console
To get it to show you your current console flags. Then do:
.help console
to get a list of available flags. Read about them, and add those to your console that you think would make it so that you can properly see what is going on.

You have the wrong number of parameters for the proc that is called by the bind join. That's an error.

Again, this should show up in the partyline.

But, (again) if you would use : http://paste.tclhelp.net/
it too would show them to you.

Lastly, (again) keep this:
http://docs.eggheads.org/mainDocs/tcl-commands.html
open in a tab. It clearly shows you the correct number of parameters for a bind join. All binds are there, and you need this document to know how to use them.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
D
Draknon
Voice

Post by Draknon »

I really appreciate all the help.. I am just having a hard time understanding all of this.. I am one of those people that I need the line and what is does and an example of it being used and the explanation of why.

so again thank you and please be patient as I have a difficult time reading and learning the new language.
But, (again) if you would use : http://paste.tclhelp.net/
it too would show them to you.
that is freakin awesome now that I understand how to use it. I don't understand everything yet, but it is very helpful.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Draknon wrote:I really appreciate all the help.. I am just having a hard time understanding all of this.. I am one of those people that I need the line and what is does and an example of it being used and the explanation of why.
Those things help everybody.

But also, it is good to know WHERE to look things up, and do so - often.
At least until you get used to that thing you are looking up every time.
Once you get it down pat, spend your time looking up something else.
Until you get it down pat.
And so on, and so on.....
so again thank you and please be patient as I have a difficult time reading and learning the new language.
That's because it is unfamiliar to you.
I agree... it can be frustrating.
Just don't let the frustration get in the way, and stop you.
Because... it doesn't last long. If you practice, you get familiar, and poof! that frustration is gone.
now that I understand how to use it.
Good ! If you've found a tool that helps.... go for it.
I don't understand everything yet,
Who does?
:)
but it is very helpful.
Great. Forward, then. Write scripts. Little, simple, easy ones. Have fun. Crash your bot some. Learn how to interpret those crash messages.
It's called learning by practicing.

Have fun with your Eggdrop bot. :)
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
D
Draknon
Voice

Post by Draknon »

all good, thanks for the help