This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How do I get Eggdrop to do an SASL login ?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
w
willyw
Revered One

How do I get Eggdrop to do an SASL login ?

Post by willyw »

Just had an interesting chat with a friend who use Amazon Web Service - AWS - shell to house his eggdrop bot.

And he was trying to make that bot connect to Freenode.

Freenode balked, wouldn't let his bot connect, saying that an SASL connection was required.

So we looked around, and found some info online, etc.

I don't have an AWS account, but I tried it on a bot of mine that is on Freenode. Works fine. Bot logs in and ids with Nickserv.

Here's what I did:

1.) Go here: https://nullroute.eu.org/~grawity/journal-2013.html
and scroll down, or text search and find: SASL authentication in Eggdrop
and read those three paragraphs.
Not absolutely necessary, but it helps.

2.) Go here: https://gist.github.com/grawity/4455067

Read some.

Then find two tcl scripts there:
https://gist.github.com/grawity/4455067 ... base64-tcl
and
https://gist.github.com/grawity/4455067#file-g_cap-tcl

On the right side of the page of each, click on the Raw button.
That opens another page, and it is plain text. I simply right clicked, got a pop up menu, chose Select All to highlight, and copied.
Then I went to shell, creating new text file with nano, and pasted.
Saved.
That's how I created each of those two .tcl files.

3.) Have a look at them.

One of them must be loaded before the other. Pay attention.

Also, one of them has a few lines of configuration. Actually, you must copy them over to your working eggdrop.conf. I simply pasted them just below the source lines that load the two scripts.

I edited only one line in this section : # password for PLAIN
You'll see.

Also, notice that the script uses $username ?
Go look in the main part of your working eggdrop.conf, and be sure it is set correctly.

That's it.

I .restarted bot, and watched. It logged on to Freenode, and did the SASL thing, and was id'd with NickServ. Worked first time.

I hope this helps somebody.
Last edited by willyw on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: How do I get Eggdrop to do an SASL login ?

Post by willyw »

Note:

My friend discovered something interesting.
His bot would not load... errored out with error that it couldn't accept bind type raw .

Discovered that he had to load these script AFTER loading alltools.tcl .

I have no idea why, as I thought alltools was just a bunch of procs to create some handy commands, whereas the bind raw type is (I thought) part of TCL itself.

Anyway - I'd loaded these scripts and the corresponding config lines, at the very bottom of bot's working eggdrop.conf, so I didn't encounter the problem.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
g
grawity
Voice

Post by grawity »

willyw wrote:Also, notice that the script uses $username ?
Go look in the main part of your working eggdrop.conf, and be sure it is set correctly.
You can set sasl-user to anything you want, instead of using the $username default.
willyw wrote:My friend discovered something interesting.
His bot would not load... errored out with error that it couldn't accept bind type raw .

Discovered that he had to load these script AFTER loading alltools.tcl .

I have no idea why, as I thought alltools was just a bunch of procs to create some handy commands, whereas the bind raw type is (I thought) part of TCL itself.
I don't know why alltools would be required. I have never used it in my bots; the bind always worked on a barebone eggdrop.