This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

autobotchk help

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
r
roger
Halfop

autobotchk help

Post by roger »

migrated from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 reloaded my eggdrop and all works well, except the autobotchk, i cd into the bots directory in terminal, then did ./autobotchk eggdrop.conf -noemail -5

i check the contab file and it shows 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /xxxx/xxxx/xxx/botname.botchk >/dev/null 2>&1 when i do crontab -e as root
but does not show a crontab for user
and it's not working, bot not starting unless i start it manually, been reading for 9 days now with no luck hope someone has a soulution,

Thanks in advance

Roger
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: autobotchk help

Post by willyw »

roger wrote:... i cd into the bots directory in terminal, then did ./autobotchk eggdrop.conf -noemail -5
Before you do that change of directories, do: whoami
because it sounds like you were root, not a regular user.
... when i do crontab -e as root
but does not show a crontab for user
That sounds like you have found the problem.

If I recall correctly, eggdrop will not run from root.
and it's not working, bot not starting unless i start it manually,
As a regular user, correct?
The user that owns the eggdrop files?

If it were me, I would:

First, I would become root ( it sounds like you are sudo) and get rid of that crontab entry in root's crontab. Clean that up.

Next, I would get back to being my regular self. The user that owns the eggdrop files and dirs.
THEN I would use the autobotchk script file to create a new Botnick.botchk and crontab entry. Both should belong to that regular user. In other words, they will start eggdrop as regular user, same as you did, manually.
You can even try it, without waiting on crontab. The Botnick.botchk file will be an executable file. Just run it from the linux command line.
As in: ./Botnick.botchk
and see what happens. It should start bot, if not already running.
Check with: ps x , both before and after executing it.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: autobotchk help

Post by willyw »

For what it is worth:

For the heck of it, I just did a quick experiment on a shell where I can use sudo to become root.

First I shut down a bot of mine there, normally.

Then I did: sudo su
to become root.

Here is copy and paste from there:

Code: Select all

root@xxxxx:/home/xxxxxx/eggdrop# ./eggdrop xxxxxx.conf

Eggdrop v1.8.3 (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2010-2018 Eggheads
[02:03:45] * ERROR: Eggdrop will not run as root!
Naturally, executing Botnick.botchk as root, got the same result.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
r
roger
Halfop

autobotchk

Post by roger »

willyw you hit the nail on the head, when i set eggdrop back up in 18.04 i did it as root, i could start the bot and run it fine as a user, but i didn't own the files, after your post i did a chown -R and everything fell into place,
thank you so very much, been beating my head against the wall with this

roger :D
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: autobotchk

Post by willyw »

You're welcome.
I'm glad to hear that you got it all figured out. :)

Hope you didn't hurt the wall. :D

hmm... that might make a good botnick someday, with some built in innuendo - The_Wall . Maybe I'll be able to remember that, when next I'm making a new bot. ;)