This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Script sw108i kills my bot

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
m4s
Halfop

Script sw108i kills my bot

Post by m4s »

Hi,

I started to use this script last week but it 'kills' my bot. In the eggdrop.log I found this:
* TERMINATE SIGNAL -- SIGNING OFF.

Can someone have a look pls?
https://pastebin.com/aSDJ27j7

Thank You!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

That log-entry suggests your eggdrop process is actively being killed off on your host (not uncommonly by an admin using the kill command, or a resource-management system). I can't find anything in the script that would cause your eggdrop to send a SIGTERM signal to itself - could be a coincidence that your admin started killing your eggdrop after you started using the script?
NML_375
m4s
Halfop

Post by m4s »

nml375 wrote:That log-entry suggests your eggdrop process is actively being killed off on your host (not uncommonly by an admin using the kill command, or a resource-management system). I can't find anything in the script that would cause your eggdrop to send a SIGTERM signal to itself - could be a coincidence that your admin started killing your eggdrop after you started using the script?
Thanks for your reply nml375. This is strange.
When I realized my eggdrop is not on irc I checked the running processes (ps -A) and the eggdrop as a process was among the running processes.

???
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Had another look at that script...
There is a potential deadlock in the "rnduser" proc; where the script will pick a random nickname in the list of channel members, and make sure it's not present in the list of bots. If it is, it will pick a new one and repeat the test... This loop will continue until it manages to find a channel member not in the list. Still, it'd only be a real issue where the list of channel members solely consists of nicks in the list of bots...

All in all, though there's a lot that could be tidied up in that script, I can't see any real reason for it causing your eggdrop to crash...

As for "* TERMINATE SIGNAL -- SIGNING OFF'", this would only be logged if your eggdrop process did receive the SIGTERM signal.
NML_375
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

nml375 wrote: ...
This loop will continue until it manages to find a channel member not in the list.

As for "* TERMINATE SIGNAL -- SIGNING OFF'", this would only be logged if your eggdrop process did receive the SIGTERM signal.
Could it be that the script is doing something - perhaps getting stuck in a loop - and the shell detects a lot of resources consumed, and kills the process that is consuming them?

I believe that I saw this person on IRC describe this problem, and I think I remember that the bot is on a free shell. One that is known to have automated scripts to detect rules violations (too many bots, etc.) , so I wouldn't be surprised if they have something automated to detect a process that is using too much of resources.

This is very curious though:
When I realized my eggdrop is not on irc I checked the running processes (ps -A) and the eggdrop as a process was among the running processes.
Are we to assume that bot was started again by crontab and botchk?

Well ok.
Whatever started it... what's keeping bot from logging into the irc server?
That's mysterious.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
m4s
Halfop

Post by m4s »

willyw wrote: ...
I believe that I saw this person on IRC describe this problem, and I think I remember that the bot is on a free shell. One that is known to have automated scripts to detect rules violations (too many bots, etc.) , so I wouldn't be surprised if they have something automated to detect a process that is using too much of resources.
Right, I was on freenode and described my problem on #xshellz and on #eggdrop. :) And yes, I have been using a free shell since 2017.
I always use the autobotchk to create a crontab line so the bot started automatically after the kill.

Perhaps I have to ask someone in the Script request section to write a new script for me.