This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC chat session timeout

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
NewzNZ
Halfop

DCC chat session timeout

Post by NewzNZ »

Hi there
I recently installed some new bots on a different network and have noticed that when I have a DCC Chat session open on the partyline (via mIRC), the session times-out after about 10-20 mins even though it dosn't actually say it disconnects.
Have had a look but just wondering if there is a setting anywhere in the .conf file to configure a session to not time-out?

Thanks in advance.
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: DCC chat session timeout

Post by willyw »

NewzNZ wrote:Hi there
I recently installed some new bots on a different network ...
But - are they also on a different shell?

I think that the different network should not make a difference, because once you are connected via DCC (Direct Client to Client), you are connected direct. You could disconnect from the irc network at that point, and it wouldn't matter.

But the shell that the bot lives on? That can make a difference.

I've had this happen to me, too. That is: after a few minutes of an idle DCC log in to bot's partyline - the DCC connection just dies.

One time, I got lucky and knew the admin of the shell and he dug into it. He found some linux configuration, that killed idle connections. He changed it, and presto! problem was gone.

I don't know of an eggdrop config file option for you to experiment with. Perhaps someone else here does, and will jump in here.

What I have done (and it works) to work around it - is to write a little script that has the bot send me a blank line in partyline, every x minutes.

Do you still have the problem?
If so - would you like to try this idea?
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
NewzNZ
Halfop

Post by NewzNZ »

Hi & apologies for my slow reply.

The new bots are on a different shell provider which I purchased to run the bots on a different network.

Thanks for the reply & idea which I would like to try if that's ok?

Thanks again!
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

NewzNZ wrote: ...
The new bots are on a different shell provider which I purchased to run the bots on a different network.

Thanks for the reply & idea which I would like to try if that's ok?
Please understand - I wrote this for myself. It is not pretty. :)
The comments at the top were not meant to be directions for anyone else, as with a script that is distributed. They are just notes to myself.

As it is right now, it uses a bind cron, and will trigger every 10 minutes. I still use this script, however probably not on the same bot and shell server that I first created it for. I don't remember if I ever experimented with that 10 minute setting, to see if it could be extended. So, you can do that, if you wish - or need to.
You can find it, in the code.

This script works for one handle only.
You will need to find it in the code, and edit it. Change it to your handle.
There are two instances. Be sure to find and edit both. The script is not complicated, or long - so you won't have any trouble finding them.

Usage:
In partyline, to turn it on, do: .keepalive
If you want to turn it off, do: .undokeepalive

However, if you simply log off your bot, when the next time comes around to post the blank line to you, it will detect that, and unbind the cron bind, and stop. This is what I do. I doubt I ever used the .undokeepalive command more than few times, way back when I was first testing. :)

You can do: .binds cron and have a look anytime, to see if it's there or not.

I use miRC, and have scripts to dcc chat and log into bots. The one bot that I still use this script on now - I don't even type .keepalive by hand. :) I just put it in the login script.

I hope this helps.
Please do let me know how it goes.

See link in your message box here. :)
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
NewzNZ
Halfop

Post by NewzNZ »

Thank you for the reply & help! Sorry was reading it back and realised my original thank-you reply hadn't appeared! :)