This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Downgrade a bot

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
f
fusionx
Voice

Downgrade a bot

Post by fusionx »

To downgrade to a previous version, can I simply remove the current version, and copy over the compiled version from another bot in a different directory?

I need to go from 1.9.4 to 1.9.1. The current user and chan files should be ok.

Of course I would not copy over the previous config, user and chan file, nor any different scripts, or botchk, etc. Just the Eggdrop link to eggdrop-1.9.1, the eggdrop-1.9.1 directory, the modules link and modules-1.9.1 directory, and the help and language directories. I don't know if the included scripts have changed, so I would copy them over as well.

The reason is due to a script I need to have working for this specific bot that is having some issues with the later versions. Those issues appear to be a TCL version issue, and I can't get a newer version of TCL to work on this CentOS 7 install. I've spent quite a few hours working on TCL, and either it doesn't work, or compiling Eggdrop doesn't work.. chicken or egg, maybe. giving up!

Rolling back to Eggdrop 1.9.1 would be much easier, for now. I'm going to set up a new KVM (soon) with a different flavor of Linux, and redo everything anyway, but I need this bot working soon :)
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Downgrade a bot

Post by willyw »

fusionx wrote:To downgrade to a previous version, can I simply remove the current version, and copy over the compiled version from another bot in a different directory?
From a different directory ... on the same machine?

I would think that with two bots, both compiled on the same machine, ...then yes, you could do that.

Personally, I don't care for copying and moving bots though. If I start from scratch, new source code, compile, install... then I know what I've got, and the potential snags that can happen from moving, etc., are eliminated.

If it was a big chore, then it might be different. But it only takes a couple minutes to compile and install. The time consuming part can be editing a new eggdrop.conf, but you said that you're going to do that anyway - right?

You can grab the source code for version 1.91. here:
https://www.eggheads.org/download/

Good luck with it all!
:)
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

If it's a TCL issue, I'm not sure that downgrade the eggdrop will solve the trouble, the trouble might come from tcl (or tcllib).
You'd better ask for help to adapt your script.

As far as I remember, there is no known issue making a script working with 1.9.1 and not with 1.9.4
f
fusionx
Voice

Post by fusionx »

CrazyCat wrote:If it's a TCL issue, I'm not sure that downgrade the eggdrop will solve the trouble, the trouble might come from tcl (or tcllib).
You'd better ask for help to adapt your script.
Thanks for the info. I have 1.9.1 running with the same script, no issues.

I finally got tcl 8.6.13 to install and was able to compile eggdrop 1.9.5 with no errors. It's still showing the same memory usage increase with the script. With the script removed, no memory increase. So it's definitely the script.

I'm going to compile and install a fresh 1.9.1 with the newer TCL and see what happens next. I think that's better than copying another install..
f
fusionx
Voice

Re: Downgrade a bot

Post by fusionx »

willyw wrote: If it was a big chore, then it might be different. But it only takes a couple minutes to compile and install. The time consuming part can be editing a new eggdrop.conf, but you said that you're going to do that anyway - right?
I went your route, and recompiled eggy with the new TCL, and it's all up and running just fine using 1.9.1.

It took about 4 minutes to download, compile and install eggdrop, using the same conf, user, and chan files. I'm getting used to it! I just need to check any settings changes between 1.9.5 and 1.9.1.

Thanks for the assist :)