This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

netbots v4.09 strange text wrapping problem

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
Z
ZvOO
Voice

netbots v4.09 strange text wrapping problem

Post by ZvOO »

Hi,
I've just installed netbots on my small botnet and nearly everything seems to work correctly. The problem is that all response text that netbots prints to my telnet screen is spiral wrapping. I'll try to make an example below:
----------
Current netbots: firstbot, otherbot.

<spaces><spaces><spaces>All netbots are online and linked.

<spaces><spaces><spaces><spaces><spaces>[22:22] botnetop:

requested limit raise on #mychannel from

<spaces><spaces><spaces><spaces>firstbot, otherbot
----------
It stairsteps across the screen like this which makes it annoying and hard to read. It does this same stairstep cascading thing on each terminal for each of my 3 bots in the botnet. All response text not related to netbots prints normally. The terminal program is Tera Term 2.3. The 2 leaf bots are eggdrop v1.6.17 and the hub bot is windrop v1.6.13. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

You'll get this with other scripts as well, not just netbots. In PuTTy, there's a setting named Implicit CR in every LF which needs to be enabled for sessions with eggdrop bots. A long time ago when I used CRT, I think the setting was called "new line mode". You need to check whether your telnet client has a similar setting.
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

There is a "New-line" setting in Tera Term with options of either CR or CR+LF. But neither of these makes a difference after setting them in the config file (teraterm.ini) and then rehashing the terminal session, or even after fully restarting the session.

There is also this setting in teraterm.ini:

; Back wrap
BackWrap=off

...but it also seems to make no difference whether it's set to "on" or "off".

Is there some way I can modify netbots to send the same carriage return signals that all of my other scripts send? Netbots is the only one that does this.

Thanks.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

ZvOO wrote:Is there some way I can modify netbots to send the same carriage return signals that all of my other scripts send? Netbots is the only one that does this.
What other scripts are those? I doubt they send console messages any differently from netbots.tcl; the method is almost universal. But I will have a look if you tell me what they are.
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

What other scripts are those? I doubt they send console messages any differently from netbots.tcl; the method is almost universal. But I will have a look if you tell me what they are.
Well, for one, Channel Guardian v1.02 (guard102.tcl) by David Proper sends messages to my console and the carriage returns are always consistent and appropriate. If you need more examples, I'll dig up the names of some other scripts that I've used before which also issue console messages with correct CR action. I don't have any of them loaded or even in the bots' directories right now (they are archived though) and I want to make sure which ones do it before I name them. But I know I have them and that I've used them without the spiraling text thing going on. Unless you think you can tell enough from guard102?

I greatly appreciate your time, BTW :)
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Have you tried a different telnet client to see if it happens in that as well?

Try PuTTy thats freeware. If it doesn't happen in that it must be something todo with the way TerraTerm handles it..
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

^DooM^ wrote:Have you tried a different telnet client to see if it happens in that as well?

Try PuTTy thats freeware. If it doesn't happen in that it must be something todo with the way TerraTerm handles it..
Actually, I just did. I have PuTTY release 0.56 which I mainly use for SSH connections.

The result: PuTTY does the exact same thing! When console messages from netbots appear, they do NOT respond properly to carriage returns and so the same stairstep text patterns are observed.

Sorry it took me so long to test this but I didn't think of it until I read your suggestion and I've been away for the last part of the day.

So what does this mean? Since both PuTTY and Tera Term mimic this carriage return behavior with the console messages issued by netbots, where does the problem lie? And how can it be fixed?

Thanks for the suggestion to try PuTTY :)
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Pleasure mate, thats what we are all here for to bounce ideas and sort out solutions :)
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

ZvOO wrote:So what does this mean? Since both PuTTY and Tera Term mimic this carriage return behavior with the console messages issued by netbots, where does the problem lie?
That will happen unless you enable "Implicit CR on every LF". If you did that and it still happened, then it would seem you have a very strange effect on telnet clients :mrgreen:

I had a look at Guard and the messages you're seeing from it are from "putlog". Putlog displays the message to all users with the right console modes and writes the message to the log. netbots and its component scripts use putlog where appropriate.

The messages that don't appear correctly are from "putidx" (aka "putdcc"). This displays the message to you only and it isn't written to the logfile. The netbots login display and responses to commands like .netinfo use putidx.

Any other script will exhibit the same behaviour when it uses putidx/putdcc.
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

Hmm, your site disappeared for a while it seems :o
slennox wrote:That will happen unless you enable "Implicit CR on every LF". If you did that and it still happened, then it would seem you have a very strange effect on telnet clients :mrgreen:
Yep, just as you originally said... sorry to be so dense :oops: I'm using PuTTY exclusively now and all is well. Thanks much!
slennox wrote:I had a look at Guard and the messages you're seeing from it are from "putlog".... The messages that don't appear correctly are from "putidx" (aka "putdcc")...
Thanks kindly for looking into it and sorry I didn't do the right thing in the first place :x

But now I have a different problem to ask about that I'll post in a separate message. Again, thanks for your time -- VERY impressive support forum you have :D