This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Open files

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
d
domp
Voice

Open files

Post by domp »

I have a problem with my triviabot. About once an our it locks up with the too many open files error. I contacted my provider about that n they answered I'm limited at 64 what is a standard there.

Now my question, is it normal to set a limit at 64 files? I pay about 15 bucks a month for 3 bg processes and 50 MB data space.

lemme know what You think ;)

Tia Dirk
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

are you talking about 64 opened files at once or 64 files on disc used one by oneother?
I believe a limit of 64 open files is already really a big deal, a 64 files quota for custom files would be ridiculous.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
d
domp
Voice

Post by domp »

64 opened files at once is what I mean. I think it can be solved when the bot restarts every 30 minutes. Is there a .tcl what does that ?
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

domp wrote:64 opened files at once is what I mean. I think it can be solved when the bot restarts every 30 minutes. Is there a .tcl what does that ?
what about closing the files? I don't know why a bot would require 64 opened files, even if you count open TCP and bash connections as files (as what they are handled in TCL).
De Kus
d
domp
Voice

Post by domp »

Closing em by myself is not an option I'm afraid. I don't want to spend that much time online :-)

Does anyome know an tcl that restarts the bot after a certain period of time ? I'm trying to find one but no luck yet
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

the scripts should close them by itself. if they don't you would't run out of file handles sooner or later no matter how high your limit is.

Code: Select all

set fd [open $file r]
#script has 1 open file
	set data [read $fd]
close $fd
#script has 0 open files but still has its content in $data
if you still want to restart your bot periodly, then open TCL-Commands.doc under 'BIND TYPES' -> 'TIME' and 'restart'.
De Kus
d
domp
Voice

Post by domp »

sorry for being dumb ;) but do i have to put that in my conf file ?
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

domp wrote:sorry for being dumb ;) but do i have to put that in my conf file ?
you don't have to, but you can, but however you shouldn't.
scroll your .conf to the bottom you might come up with an idea (if not, you are really dump :P).
De Kus
d
domp
Voice

Post by domp »

De Kus wrote:the scripts should close them by itself. if they don't you would't run out of file handles sooner or later no matter how high your limit is.

Code: Select all

set fd [open $file r]
#script has 1 open file
	set data [read $fd]
close $fd
#script has 0 open files but still has its content in $data
if you still want to restart your bot periodly, then open TCL-Commands.doc under 'BIND TYPES' -> 'TIME' and 'restart'.

I still have the same problem :| Since nerbendr seems to be vanished I give it another try here.

When i use the above script in a tcl nothing happens... anyone who could help me?
Another solution might be a script where the bot die's after 30 minutes and restarts after that.

All of your help is very much appreciated by this NON-tcl'er ;)

Tia

Dirk
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

nerbendr strikes again! Look, personally I'd get rid of that trivia script permanently and go for one that works and is FREE! MoxQuizz 0.8.1 is an excellent multi language trivia script and doesn't open multiple files all over the place and the author fully supports his product for free! :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
d
domp
Voice

Post by domp »

I gave Oxquizz a try before I bought nerfbenders script. The problem with moxquizz is the fact not all text is displayed in java. Most people use the java chat applet there :roll:

Besides that I have over 600,000 questions in the format for Nerf's bot now..

Any idea for an solution with killing and restarting the bot ?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Try the Search function; I am sure this problem has already been covered elsewhere. :wink:
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM