This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Testie bot - Disconnects itself

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
s
skarphace
Voice

Testie bot - Disconnects itself

Post by skarphace »

I'm new to eggdrop. Started poking and prodding recently but my bot seems a little testie. If I poke a little too hard it tends to freak out and disconnect from the IRC server. Something as simple as initiating a DCC session, sending it a command, or a random string of characters will disconnect it. No error messages in the logs and the error on quit is usually "Connection reset by peer" and sometimes "Read error: 54".

Googling those just gives me pages and pages of logs and a search for '54', here on the forums, returns nothing.

Does anyone have any more information on this or debug logging switches or any suggestions at all? The bot is pretty useless when you can DOS it without even trying, heh.

Much appreciated.
128 Processor Servers? Prepare to be boarded.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

change host provider
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
s
skarphace
Voice

Post by skarphace »

demond wrote:change host provider
Can you explain a little more in detail? There's no way in hell I'm chainging ISPs. I would much rather fix the problem then run from it.

The bot drops when I send commands to it. It doesn't just drop out of nowhere.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

the only thing you can do, besides changing provider, is to run the bot without any scripts, just making sure that it's not a script's fault

if this doesn't improve the situation, complain to your admin, since the issue certainly has nothing to do with eggdrop
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
s
skarphace
Voice

Post by skarphace »

demond wrote:if this doesn't improve the situation, complain to your admin, since the issue certainly has nothing to do with eggdrop
I am the admin, it's my box. Since I'm unfamiliar with eggdrop and since I haven't used IRC in years I was hoping for some troubleshooting starting points. Are there any debug switches I can turn on to get some more info? Like was it a timeout, a drop, a server boot, etc.

Thanks.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

skarphace wrote:I am the admin, it's my box. Since I'm unfamiliar with eggdrop and since I haven't used IRC in years I was hoping for some troubleshooting starting points. Are there any debug switches I can turn on to get some more info? Like was it a timeout, a drop, a server boot, etc.

Thanks.
read the config section about logfiles. there you can enable some extra logging. But I doubt it will show something helpfull, since it seems be nothing with the bot itself but rather with the network.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
s
skarphace
Voice

Post by skarphace »

De Kus wrote:But I doubt it will show something helpfull, since it seems be nothing with the bot itself but rather with the network.
Yeah, I understand. But since the bot is showing the symptom, I figured maybe it could clue me in on the troubles.

Thanks for the tip.