This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

netbots help; pushing +b's through botnet

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
k
knifebunny
Voice

netbots help; pushing +b's through botnet

Post by knifebunny »

running the netbots script here, just a simple botnet of three bots.

I am primarily using the botnet to catch spambots, so I have the hub bot deop'd in the main channels its trying to protect. It also sits in other channels it is not trying to protect just for the purpose of catching spam. It will set a global ban if it finds someone spamming, and each leaf bot will set the ban internally too. The problem is, the ban doesnt actually get put through /modes unless the hub bot is op'd, and even then only the hub bot actually sets the +b.

The idea is that some spammers only /msg non-op'd users, thats why i want to have the hub bot distributing +b's without needing to be op'd to do it. I want to make it so the leaf bots will set the +b mode on the channel if they received a ban over the botnet from the hub bot.

I dont have +dynamicbans set, so this doesnt matter. Can post script from my anti-spam if required. I figure there's some scripting trigger that will make this happen? im not sure.

any help would be appreciated, i did a search and couldnt turn over what i was looking for =[

am running eggdropv1.6.17, netbots4.10
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

dont know if it helps, but i figured i could set some sort of a timer up where it sets the ban as a sticky for X minutes ... just for the purpose of the op'd bot to actually +b the ban
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

figured id use the forum to try and answer my own questions :P seems like this is a tough one to answer ..

so ive worked out with newchanban, there's an option you can append "sticky" to it, and it will make the ban sticky .. so could i just, within the same proc, run a timer from there that say, after 60 minutes, unsticks the ban?

because a timer would be getting called a lot, because of all the spams, are the timers going to override themselves?

how would I code this? :D
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

timers will stack until you run out of memory :D.
However, arent bans supposed to be shared via userfile sharing and not via netbots? therefore you might want to check the sharing direction (which bot shares passiv and which aggresively) ^-^
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

yeah, the bans share over userfile sharing, however the bot issuing the 'global ban' isnt opped, so the ban is sharing to the op'd bot, but the op'd bot isnt actually setting the +b mode in the channel
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

does the bot recieve the new ban, or does it just not set the ban?
if you cant get it working, you might want to rename newchanban and make your own newchanban proc which will forward the ban through the tradional way of botnet.
De Kus
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

it receives it, and will activate the ban IF someone on the channel matches it. I want it to set the +b in the channel anyway, even if noone in the channel matches it.

So, looking at .bans all, I see the bans there. But it just wont set the +b mode in the channel, which is where I am stuck.

Doesnt seem to be a ban sharing issue at all, just whether or not it decides to set +b in the channel as the ban is set.
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

im thinking if i cant get it to work via that method, i might perhaps make the non-op'd bot /msg the op'd bot with some sort of command to set a ban .. i just figured botnet userfile sharing would have done it for me
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

in that case making the ban sticky and unstick it after 5sec or so might really be the best idea. however, i would encourage you to enable dynamic bans again, since the bots would not remove them else.
De Kus
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

if it unsticks after 5 seconds though .. wont the bot then just -b the ban? or would the ban expire later on?
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

what's the point of setting a channel ban if it doesn't match anyone currently on channel? if that's a sticky bot ban, it will be enforced when necessary and it will remain set on channel anyway
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

the reason behind it is because a lot of spam on the network at the moment involves a compromised host joining then parting the channel with the /names list and spamming everyone from outside of the channel. I was hoping to have the non-op'd bot sit in a few other large channels to grab these nicks and ban them in the channel before they get the chance to cycle through our channel .. Hence why I need it to set the +b before they even make it there.

There isnt a problem collecting the nicks that are doing it, its just a matter of making it set the +b the way I want it, which would stop them getting the /names list in the first place.

Makes sense?
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

just to let you know, i tried the "sticky" trick with newchanban, the op'd bot recognises it as a sticky ban and keeps it in the internal ban list that way, but doesnt actually go as far as setting the +b mode
k
knifebunny
Voice

Post by knifebunny »

thinking now the only way to do it is keep the hub bot op'd, and setup some sort of system where it will accept a privmsg ban from a non op'd bot, and set the ban globally (via the botnet) and in the channel locally with a +b mode

make it do a newchanban, then pushmode the +b ..

Suggestions on how to make this secure?

sorry for excessive posts, im getting excited about solving this!
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

you are on the right track ([newchanban] + [pushmode +b])

on a side note, there is no need of dedicated "detector" bot, let alone communicating via PRIVMSG; see spambuster.tcl for inspiration ;)
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code