This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop Bot Auto Restart

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
P
Passionate
Voice

Eggdrop Bot Auto Restart

Post by Passionate »

Hi All,

Actually, eggdrop bot goes offline.. at times it comes back... but sometimes i had to restart it manually using putty.. why is that so.. and any solution to get rid of this problem.. like the bot should restart automatically when it goes offline.

Passionate.

P.S: Sorry just incase if this question asked already.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Check your logs for errors, if there're no errors then it's probably from your shell. If it's the second case then ask your provider to solve it and if your shell supports crontab then check out this section for help in using crontab.
R
Ryu
Voice

same issue

Post by Ryu »

i know this was posted back in 2005 - but i am having the exact same issue today - and its not the box - as i have 2 other eggdrops on the same box and no issues from any of them.

is there a script that could make the eggdrop auto restart?
p
potnet
Voice

Ryu's question

Post by potnet »

Editing the botchk file

The botchk script and crontab are used to automatically restart the bot if the shell it's on reboots or if the bot process is killed for some other reason. You can find the botchk file in the scripts directory (in the directory you installed the bot to). Newer versions of Eggdrop (from 1.3.24i) have a script included that automatically configures botchk and crontab for you. In telnet, simply switch to the scripts directory and type chmod 700 autobotchk then ./autobotchk <config> -dir /home/botdir -noemail, where /home/botdir is the directory you installed the bot to and <config> is the name you chose for your config file.

Taken from http://www.egghelp.org/setup.htm under Editing the botchk file
R
Ryu
Voice

Post by Ryu »

the botchk file would be very helpful, if the bot had actually died, but that is not my issue here, when i log into the box - and do ps x -- the bot is still running - but it is NOT on my network, that is my issue. hence the reason i asked is there a script that could make the eggdrop auto restart? meaning make it rejoin my network since it is still running as a process on the shell.

ps: i already have the botchk set for each of my eggdrops so that they restart if the shell gets rebooted.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

I believe I did post a watchdog-enabled botchk solution on the forum some time ago, havn't got a link right now, but a simple search should reveal it...

That said, it would seem to me that you've got some script that simply blocks your eggie. I'd recommend trying to find out which, and fix it.
NML_375
incith
Master

Post by incith »

I think a simple script to check whether botonchan or not now and then, if not, try and jump or something.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Incith: I doubt that would be very useful, since apart from being locked out through a netsplit, I can't think of a situation where eggdrop wouldn't be able to make it's way back into the channel, should it not be "frozen"... (or well, very faulty scripting I suppose, but then the answer would be to fix that script)

If it is "frozen", however, no tcl-script running within the eggdrop will ever be able to restart/reboot it...

Same goes for network presence (assuming never-give-up and check-stoned are set to 1).
NML_375
D
DragonRyder
Voice

Post by DragonRyder »

the eggdrop config i am using for the shoutcast echo is the same one i have used for awhile now - adn the eggdrop config is the same i use on all my drops adn they all stay online - so i know it aint the drop config or my other drops would all "freeze" up and yes never-give-up and check-stoned are set to 1 - not trying to be mean here - but i am not a n00b when it comes to eggdrops - i simply thought that others who are maybe more experienced in drops might have a clue as tyo what might be happening here.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Have you tried remaining connected through dcc, in order to see if your eggdrop is still responding when it "disappears"?
NML_375
D
DragonRyder
Voice

Post by DragonRyder »

now that is an interesting idea - thanks and i am being serious - thank you

will let you know what happens