This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

English only kick

Requests for complete scripts or modifications/fixes for scripts you didn't write. Response not guaranteed, and no thread bumping!
J
JOE
Voice

English only kick

Post by JOE »

:wink: Trying to fine a tcl script that will warn a nick that the channel is english only and if they speak another language again the script will kick them from the channel.Is it possible to have a tcl script that will do that and if so can someone please help me or tell me where i may fined it.Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give me. :-)
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

is it just me or are people who have been registered here for years really too ignorant about things they should have known far better by now?

wrong forum dude

and no, there is no such script, and it's very hard to write one - for the simple reason that you can't programmatically distinguish your language from all others with sufficient certainty, given only one sentence or phrase

think before posting
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

you should at least specify the languages you want to be kicked. There is noone who will ever write a general script to kick these 50 languages or many we have all over the world.
Not to mention that you need to take care about the input encodig, about what language is supposed to be allowed. some common phrases might be avaible in more than one language. if you want to ban both, you can use them, if you dont, you cant. Not to mention someone might wanted to write an english word like "fine" but only wrote "fin", or he misstyped "were" for "wer" which is again another language :D.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

I guess he meant kicking on none-english fonts not words, but still that's tricky and like demond said it might not be 100% ceratin.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

you cannot kick "fonts" in IRC, because there is no encoding description...
a shift_js byte combination, might be a regular special character in utf-8... unless you enforce an encoding by channel rules, you cannot determine what is what :D.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Sir_Fz meant non-English characters like é, ü etc etc.

One thing for sure, you'd be there all day trying to figure it out. LOL

English being as flexible as it is (it also uses accented characters) it is impossible for any script to determine what is or is not a certain language.

@ JOE: Your request is impossible as the parameters are too ambiguous.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

well, actually I had something similar in mind a while ago, and even did some research on existing language recognition algorithms - however, my idea was to apply fuzzy logic with phonetic and syntax rules on a whole buffer of phrases/sentences, not just one line

eventually I decided it'd be too much time wasted for achieving relatively insignificant goal and passed on the idea
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Alchera wrote:Sir_Fz meant non-English characters like é, ü etc etc.
lol yes, I meant characters*** not fonts sorry. Aside from non-english characters used for accents, some people simply like to decorate their text by using strange characters, for example "that" -- laming processing to --> "†hД†" :lol: