This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

POP3 email script search

Help for those learning Tcl or writing their own scripts.
r
redshift
Voice

POP3 email script search

Post by redshift »

I've been searching for an eggdrop script that will fetch mail from either a remote pop3 server or a local unix mailbox and broadcast the email contents to the channel. I hope I'm posing this in the correct forum, as I'm not asking anyone to write it... but does anyone know of such a thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-rs
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

As far as I know there is no such script. I suggest using Google or a detailed search of the Tcl Archive.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
E
Ehlanna
Voice

Post by Ehlanna »

Sounds like a potential 'nasty' if anyone gets hold of that mail address and starts spamming it ...

One avenue of approach (assuming a Unix mail account) would be to manually process the mail file directly. Just off the top of my head you would probably want a mix of shell/tcl to handle it: the shell (probably perl?) to clone the mail file (and clear it out to 'flag' it as having been processed) and to do some basic topping and tailing to split the file up into suitable chunks (assuming that can be done easily!). Then have the tcl process that file in knowledge of the fact that the file is in a particluar format (and 'iffy' mails or ones that do not seem to be able to be correctly processed can be offloaded to an 'error file' for manual intervention).
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Ehlanna wrote:Sounds like a potential 'nasty' if anyone gets hold of that mail address and starts spamming it ...
As all details are stored in text files it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

no need of Perl/shell

to get ideas about fetching from your local UNIX mailbox search the forum for "tail -f"

on the other hand, POP3 protocol is simple TCP with handful of commands like USER, PASS, LIST, RETR; so it's a piece of cake to implement what you want in Tcl (the hard part comes if you need to decode MIME etc.)
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code