This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

confused

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
R
Rhedd
Voice

confused

Post by Rhedd »

do I edit this or not in the eggdrop.h

Code: Select all

#define HANDLEN 9   /* valid values 9->NICKMAX  */
#define NICKMAX 32  /* valid values HANDLEN->32 */
in the eggdrop.h it say leave it alone and edit in .conf . But yet when I do edit it like that in .conf it doesnt work and nicknames get truncated :( Please help and I have been reading for awhile now on what to do and that is prob why i got confused . *shrug*
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

A little forum search about this issue can give you great results.
R
Rhedd
Voice

Post by Rhedd »

Sir_Fz wrote:A little forum search about this issue can give you great results.
did you not read what I wrote Sir ? It would have took just as much energy from you to just answer my question instead of going through all the trouble to link the search page to me , of which i am very familiar with , if you had of been paying attention to what I wrote you would have understood that whatI have searched and read has got me confused and was just wanting some verfication .
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

I don't see how you got confused after search, setting nick-len in the .conf should fix the nick length problem (works fine for me) while handlen should be changed from source. If nick-len doesn't help, then try to edit it in source as well and see what happens.
R
Rhedd
Voice

Post by Rhedd »

Because in the eggdrop.h file it says to leave it as is and edit the eggdrop.conf file . I just wanted to make sure before I changed anything in the eggdrop.h file .
so I would change this :

#define HANDLEN 9   /* valid values 9->NICKMAX  */
to this :

#define HANDLEN 32   /* valid values 32->NICKMAX  */
see that part also had me confused . Man I am just barely learning this stuff and running searchs for something I'm not sure about yet , just confuses me even more . :(

Basically this is where I got confused http://forum.egghelp.org/viewtopic.php? ... en+eggdrop
look at demonds post with the code from eggdrop.h
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Well, I agree with demond, I told you that setting nick-len should work fine as it did for me. Set it, restart your bot and see.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Do not change anything in the source files unless you know why you want to make a change.

The Search function is there for a reason; use it and be amazed!

PS: Redefining 'HANDLEN' has nothing to do with the 'nick-len' setting in eggdrop.conf.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
R
Rhedd
Voice

Post by Rhedd »

Alchera wrote:Do not change anything in the source files unless you know why you want to make a change.

The Search function is there for a reason; use it and be amazed!

PS: Redefining 'HANDLEN' has nothing to do with the 'nick-len' setting in eggdrop.conf.
Ok first I know why I wanted to edit the source file .

Second I have already been pointed toward the search page once in this thread or don't you read ?

Third if it doesnt have anything to do with the nicklength , then why was I able to add a nick that is over 9 chars long after redefing handlen . When before even though i had nick-len set to 32 in eggdrop.conf it wouldnt let me add a user with over 9 chars in their name ?
T
T-Xorcist
Halfop

Post by T-Xorcist »

Be a little more polite. People are trying to help here.
R
Rhedd
Voice

Post by Rhedd »

Is that what I got ? help ? Well from sir his 2nd and 3rd post were helpful but from alchera it wasnt helpful at all ! And you didnt help anything either . I'm sorry if I come off rather offensive but it agitates me when I am told to use the search function twice in one script when I have and will again .
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

I don't see how my first reply or Alchera's reply weren't helpful. You can't define what's considered help here, you don't have the right to do that since you haven't contributed any help for others on this forum. So don't tell us what helps and what doesn't.

HANDLEN is the handle's length in the userfile which has nothing to do with nick-len. If you said that was your problem from the first place then you would've found a solution from the first reply here, or even (Surprise) by search! (which confused you for no real reason).

The moral of this: If you explain your problem clearly, you get a clear answer. Next time tell us your problem, we don't want to know if you're confused (we already know that since you're seeking help). This topic is locked.