This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

nick lenght problem

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
L
LaMpiR
Voice

nick lenght problem

Post by LaMpiR »

Before compiling i've edited eggdrop.h in /src/ and i am using gseen mod but it doesn't work with nick longer than 9 characters :)
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

Code: Select all

# open src/mod/gseen.mod/gseen.c
# find (line 88)
static int seen_nick_len = 9;
# replace with
static int seen_nick_len = 32;
just recompile and copy either gseen.so/dll or eggdrop(.exe) to your install (mod) path.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

I don't have the gseen source before me, but as far as I can remember, it uses eggdrop's global variable nick_len, which is initialized from the config/scripts by setting nick-len

so gseen should be working with whatever nick length nick-len is set to (and fall back to default 9 only if nick-len is not set)
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

nope, my bots are always compiled with 30 nicklength. the funny thing is, it will save the nicks correctly, but you cannot search for them. ex.
you are searching for "IhaveAcoolLONGnick" and use this without the patch:
!seen IhaveAcoolLONGnick
the bot will say it would be a too long nick, but if you use
!seen IhaveAc*
he will answer, that there is exactly one match, IhaveAcoolLONGnick ^-^. seems the intern nicklength is only used for the direct query input, however since it helps, it wont hurt to change that var, will it? :)
De Kus
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

compiled with nicklen? which eggdrop version do you use? nicklen has been configurable in eggdrop.conf since eggdrop1.4

I just got the latest gseen and it also has seen nicklen configurable:

static tcl_ints my_tcl_ints[] =
{
  {"save-seens", &save_seens, 0},
  {"expire-seens", &expire_seens, 0},
  {"use-handles", &use_handles, 0},
  {"tell-seens", &tell_seens, 0},
  {"botnet-seens", &botnet_seen, 0},
  {"max-matches", &max_matches, 0},
  {"fuzzy-search", &fuzzy_search, 0},
  {"wildcard-search", &wildcard_search, 0},
  {"hide-secret-chans", &hide_secret_chans, 0},
  {"seen-nick-len", &seen_nick_len, 0},
  {0, 0, 0}
};
G
Galadhrim
Op

Post by Galadhrim »

I remember that I had to edit eggdrop.h to make sure that the nicklength got larger for my local dmz irc server, can't remember a setting in the config file tbh. Might just be me...
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Galadhrim wrote:I remember that I had to edit eggdrop.h to make sure that the nicklength got larger for my local dmz irc server, can't remember a setting in the config file tbh. Might just be me...
Not just you I had to do the same. The config nick length if I remember correctly is for the internal userlist nick lengths and the source nick length is to allow the bots nick to be upto 32 chars long. could be the other way round my memory is failing in my old age ;)
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

Galadhrim wrote:I remember that I had to edit eggdrop.h to make sure that the nicklength got larger for my local dmz irc server, can't remember a setting in the config file tbh. Might just be me...
it's you ;)

from eggdrop.h:

* NICKMAX note:
 *       You should leave this at 32 characters and modify nick-len in the
 *       configuration file instead.
 */
#define HANDLEN 9   /* valid values 9->NICKMAX  */
#define NICKMAX 32  /* valid values HANDLEN->32 */
from eggdrop.conf:

# This setting allows you to specify the maximum nick-length supported by your
# network. The default setting is 9. The maximum supported length by Eggdrop
# is 32.
set nick-len 9
it's hard to imagine someone would need nicks with more than 32 chars
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

^DooM^ wrote:
Not just you I had to do the same. The config nick length if I remember correctly is for the internal userlist nick lengths and the source nick length is to allow the bots nick to be upto 32 chars long. could be the other way round my memory is failing in my old age ;)
you must be hundred years old, those things were documented in eggdrop.conf in recent years :P
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

lol it feels like it at times =D it was a good few years ago since I did that. Most likley updated it since then. :wink:
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
s
shorte
Voice

Wonder if this will help

Post by shorte »

I have a user who for some reason isn't able to ident when his host changes, now everyone else in the user file is able to and I belive it might have something to do with the fact that he has a _ in the nick, now if I changed the settings per the other replies in this post, will this fix my issue or is there some other goblin out there that is holding it up, nick len is set to 15 (which is the current max for undernet) and that hasn't changed anything.

Any ideas would be helpful, otherwise if this works, don't bite my head off :)

Thanks...

Peace :?
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

You need to also increase the HANDLEN, change it to 15 and recompile.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

what has ident to do with nicklength of gseen? Changing gseen.c will therefore not help! :P
well, _ is 100% no reason for that issue. my handle contains a _ since I got my very first eggdrop and I had never any issues with it.
De Kus
s
shorte
Voice

Post by shorte »

Sir_Fz wrote:You need to also increase the HANDLEN, change it to 15 and recompile.
Thanks man you rock... now I just have to convince the other bot admins to do the same so I can get my full botnet back, but that's not your issue. :)

THanks again man.

Peace