This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

usage of "after" command

Help for those learning Tcl or writing their own scripts.
Dedan
Master

usage of "after" command

Post by Dedan »

i searched the forum and found nothing to my suprise.

i am having a problem finding the
proper format of this command, i
am not even sure it can be used in
the way i need it.

I have a loop that will loop about
60,000 times and i want to place a "pause"
in it.

Code: Select all

foreach t $tenthousands {
    blah
    blah
    after 
  }

thanks for you help 8)
I once was an intelligent young man, now i am old and i can not remember who i was.
d
deadite66
Halfop

Post by deadite66 »

http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/after.htm

i believe the after command in eggdrop has to run a command/proc you can't use it as a pause.

i tried it once in a script as a pause and the irc logs times recorded were all out of sync.
<- tcl newb
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

Well I haven't used after till now, because I did not have a reason for it till now. First you will not be able to use it withing a loop of any kind. Best you save were you have been in a global var or forward it via argument and then call the command from the beginning. If I read manual right you should be able to able to use it like:

after 100 myproc $myarg1 $myarg2 $myarg3 $position
should execute it after 100ms. But I am not sure if this will really work in eggdrops. Maybe you can use the event functions built in eggdrop. No idea if custom events can be bound like "bind evnt - custom proc" and trigger with "event custom".
I personally would try to optimize the script to not consume that much CPU time, because I would probably get kicked of my shell for doing so :D.

Edit:

[-RO^Bot-] [12:16:22] tcl: evaluate (.tcl): set testtime [clock clicks -milliseconds]; after 1000 putdcc 13 {[expr {[clock clicks -milliseconds] - $testtime}]ms}
[-RO^Bot-] Tcl: after#5
[-RO^Bot-] 1010ms
works like a charm
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...