This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

vhost [SOLVED]

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
d
d0rk
Voice

vhost [SOLVED]

Post by d0rk »

Hello, i got a domain and i want to use it as a vhost, any can explain for me how i do this ?:P

thanks
Last edited by d0rk on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

set my-ip to the ip associated with that vhost, and voila
NML_375
d
d0rk
Voice

Post by d0rk »

hmm, but i only got the domain, i need to do something more so i can use it as a vhost, but i dont know where i get a ip number :P where can i pay to get one? :P
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Look for a company that will host it for you? If you have a *nix box you can host it yourself. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
d
d0rk
Voice

Post by d0rk »

i got a linux box up and running, but i dont want a company to host it :P i want to do it myself :P
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

You can either use the dynamic IP your isp likely provides and use one of the free dynamic-dns services, such as zoneedit, or you can pay your isp extra for a static ip (although a few give you static ip for no extra charge, such as covad)

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra money for a static ip, the only benefit of a static ip, is being able to reverse-lookup the ip/hostname.
d
d0rk
Voice

Post by d0rk »

rosc2112 wrote:You can either use the dynamic IP your isp likely provides and use one of the free dynamic-dns services, such as zoneedit, or you can pay your isp extra for a static ip (although a few give you static ip for no extra charge, such as covad)

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra money for a static ip, the only benefit of a static ip, is being able to reverse-lookup the ip/hostname.

hehe i dont think my internet provider give me that, but seems the easiest way is to pay a company :P

thanks for the help
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Actually, dynIP won't work with irc vhosts, as irc-servers just take the reverse-lookup of the ip. Since the ip.network.ipaddr.arpa domain should be controlled by your isp, dynamic-dns services such as dyndns.org etc. won't be able to do anything 'bout that.
Some isp's might allow you to have a private domain for the reverse-lookup, tho most that do allow it, would charge extra for that and most likely also require you to buy a fixed ip from them.
NML_375
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

Ahh yeah you're right nml, I forgot about that. My shell provider gives vhostnames and reverses them, and offers to vhost your own domainname if you want them to.