This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

flaming, insults, disrespect, etc

Website and forum-related announcements and discussion, and anything else that doesn't fit in the above forums.
rosc2112
Revered One

flaming, insults, disrespect, etc

Post by rosc2112 »

I know I read somewhere that flaming and such is not allowed. So, it would be nice to actually see that rule (or suggestion) enforced. It's particularly disturbing when it's the *moderators* and *owners* doing this. Yes I know it gets tiresome dealing with newbies who can't read the friendly manual, but sheesh, you're just encouraging an unfriendly environment when you stoop to insults. Yes I also know I'm not completely innocent of doing this myself. But I'm also not a moderator, or an owner. So maybe a gentle reminder would help, how about the older members and moderators setting an example in either being courteous, or at worst, just simply ignoring the newbies and idiots :P

<donning asbestos underwear for the inevitable retorts>
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

The 'owner' thing is just a forum rank, nothing more. The ONLY owner of this is slennox and will stay that way unless he has some other plans that we aren't aware of. Moderator status instead is something granted upon doing something for this community.. anyway, back on topic.

If you see someone, even me or any other moderator report him/her to slennox and he will do what needs to be done. rules aren't here just for some people, are for the entire community and applies for all, no matter of his/her status/rank.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

I've observed attitude problems from both regular contributors and newbies, but these are usually manifest as occasional snide remarks rather than clear breaches of forum rules. It crosses the line when it becomes a personal attack - insulting people is unacceptable in this forum. However, I can only act on this if specific posts are reported. Just saying you think a particular individual has an attitude problem usually won't lead anywhere.

A guideline all members should follow - if you're annoyed by the degree of cluelessness or laziness in a post, ignore it and move along. Either someone in a more tolerant mood will respond in a more useful way than your annoyed self, or the thread will disappear without replies, just as the lord intended. And if you're having a bad day, avoid the Script Requests forum which is partially intended as a catch-all for the most demanding posts :)
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

slennox wrote:if you're annoyed by the degree of cluelessness or laziness in a post, ignore it and move along.
I've noticed some individuals go out of their way to make the above difficult, this topic being a good example.

I believe a "no bumping/begging" policy may be in order. Members should be ignoring users/posts that get them riled up, but this can only be expected if such users/posts aren't excessively imposing themselves, given the lack of a "killfile" facility in the forum software.

Comments welcome.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

In deed, that topic turned into a discussion instead of a request. I myself was annoyed by the replies and it amazes me how Thanhas still had hope in recieving help :lol:

Lets just explain our concept if needed and stop there instead of arguing with the user (or we can simply implement the request).
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Tho I've been engaged in that thread myself, I would agree that it's become more or less a "bumping-issue", especially as the author does not provide any further details on his request with the subsequent posts. I can understand if one might have difficulties explaining their issue/needs/requests for whatever reasons, but that's no excuse for not trying at all..

Also, I thought a no-bumb policy already was applied here. If not, it should be, and be sufficient cause for a lock.

But then again, imposing too strict policies in "Script Request" might inhibit it's "catch all" purpose...

As for killfile, it would be a nice feature indeed, although I've found ignoring pointless/stupid/insulting/etc non-constructive posts not that hard to ignore in most cases. In the other few cases, taking a 15min break between writing and posting any replies would usually do the trick..
NML_375
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

This topic was another that was running around in ever decreasing circles thanks to Thanhas and another classic example of how to frustrate everyone.

The two topics mentioned would probably be extreme examples and are not all that common but we also need to remind ourselves that not everyone uses English as their first language and therein lies the basic problem.

The two posts given as examples for frustration are more likely to do with a language "barrier" than anything else.

In some cases redirecting a user to a site in their own language can solve a problem or another user that speaks their language pops up and helps.

All in all, patience is required by all and name calling is indeed unwarranted.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
TCL_no_TK
Owner

Reply: flaming, insults, disrespect, etc

Post by TCL_no_TK »

I dont know why but when browsing this topic i felt like making a reply and to me it comes down to this; the scripters work hard to produce scripts and share them with people, they also give up there time to help people with other scripts or try to help solve problems with there own. In sayin that it also a case of this is mainly a help and support forum. Thats about it, and sorry if this comes off a bit kinda angry, rude or disrespectful as it was not my intension.

P.S lol, good points btw