This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

incith:horoscope (r94) (Jan. 20th, 2009)

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
incith
Master

incith:horoscope (r94) (Jan. 20th, 2009)

Post by incith »

Newest versions of my scripts are always available @ incith.com if they are not yet available on the Tcl archive.

Searches for zodiac/astrology (leo/virgo/etc) and chinese zodiac (rat/ox/etc).
Last edited by incith on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:10 am, edited 13 times in total.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

# 2.1: renamed 'goat' to 'sheep', thanks Routergod #
I just noticed this and wish to inform you that the star sign for Capricorn is definitely a Goat not a Sheep.

The 12 Zodiac signs have no sheep in them. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Well, you go ahead and set it to 'goat' and notice how broken it is. :P

I wouldn't just change it.. I mean really.. there's obviously a reason for it? Which is that the site that I use changed it. But not their RSS feeds, which I plan to start using instead.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

An e-mail sent to astrology.com pointing out their rather idiotic error. :lol:

And this from their site:
Capricorn is symbolized by the Goat.
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Haha yeah, I don't get it either.

The only thing I could come up with is they changed goat for religious intentions/purposes.

But I will start using their RSS feeds sooner or later which still use goat (for now?).

I will also add a hack to the next version of this script to convert 'goat' requests into 'sheep' if it's still necessary.

Lol, http://chinese.astrology.com/year/goat.html redirects to /sheep.html and they even made a new image:

If anyone else should want to send them a question (power in numbers!), you can do so at: http://www.astrology.com/feedback/

I might fire off an e-mail too.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

I'm just a little confused as to how they got it wrong to start with. :lol:

I gather this just happened?

I'm a Capricorn btw which is why I noticed. :D
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

It was emailed to me by Routergod per the ChangeLog, I hadn't noticed as I truly rarely use the script (suggestions welcome!.. I plan to clean it up some after noticing how old it is now) but none the less, they must have somewhat recently changed Goat to Sheep. I did e-mail them by the way, arguing its foolish to change thousands of years of history on a whim.. brilliant idea.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Ok, I'm doing a more in depth research on this and it's looking like sheep, ram or goat is valid although I have only ever seen the goat referenced.
The Sheep ( 羊 ) (also known as Goat or Ram) is the eighth sign of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac related to the Chinese calendar. People born in this year are known for their artistic talents and immense creativity.
And the "emblem" (if you will) is a Goat (so how confused are the Chinese?).

I have been scouring Chinese Zodiac sites and each doesn't agree with the other; even they seem to be as confused as I now am. :lol:

No doubt best left "as is" until an explanatory response from the website is received? :wink:
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Shucks, I was presumptively being arrogant in my little e-mail to them. :P

Yeah, I'll leave it be and add in some special cases, to just convert 'goat' and 'ram' I suppose to sheep, and any others that might contradict.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

I've had your horoscope script running in around 30 eggdrops since the first release and all the users normally use their actual star sign (i.e. Capricorn), very few actually use the Chinese Zodiac signs (.i.e. Ox).

So, I cannot see any real dramas as they'll figure it out. :lol:
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Well, Chinese signs are based on years, and not months. Not everyone who is a Capricorn will be a Goat or an Ox or what-have-you. That is the point of the Chinese signs in the script anyway, to give a Chinese zodiac horoscope versus Western zodiac.

I'm sure you knew this, but it's just kind of how your last post sounded. They (the users using the script) would have to want to look up their Chinese year/sign.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

I'm not a great believer in Astrology and on further research it appears the astrologists cannot figure it out either. :lol:

I've been scouring Chinese Zodiac sites for a couple of days and some have me born in the year of the Ox and the majority the year of the Tiger (I'm going with Tiger). :D

The main thing is that it's a good script and any one using it will figure it out what (Chinese Zodiac) year they were born in if they don't already know. :wink:
Search | FAQ | RTM
incith
Master

Post by incith »

2.1b available on my website and submitted to the Tcl archive for the next update. Added 'goat' and 'ram' to allowed searches, and it will convert them to 'sheep'.
incith
Master

Post by incith »

2.1c has been released, available on my website and submitted to the Tcl archive. The script willl no longer die if it cannot find your sign in the html.
incith
Master

Post by incith »

3.0 released.