This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Can this C module be converted to eggdrop?

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
B
BoaR
Halfop

Can this C module be converted to eggdrop?

Post by BoaR »

it's a small module called Automated File Retrieval (AFR) that i would like to use with my eggdrop.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/afr

Automated File Retrieval (AFR) is a plugin for X-Chat written in C. AFR is a queue-based file retrieval utility that can download files from many different types of file servers on IRC.

can someone please converted to eggdrop module please.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Keyword here is "file servers"! This activity is not supported on these forums.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

I think questions regarding file servers and file transfer are not disallowed by default.

The rules say he need a realistic expectations what he is needing that for. Them also say "No requesting help on anything involving "piracy" (of software, movies, or otherwise), because it's illegal in most places. ".

But file servers/file transfer is not limited to piracy.

BoaR, note that this is not a forum to request others to do work.
socketapi | Code less, create more.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

It is also worth keeping in mind that eggdrop does come shipped with dcc file-transfer capabilities, native scripting environment to handle this, along with an easy-to-use filearea. Simply saying we do not support file servers would pretty much rule out eggdrop all in all... (not to mention the tcl script archive - looks like a file server to me, yes I'm just being silly proving my point here).
There are legitimate use of various file servers, even other than webservers..

Ofcourse acts of copyright violations should not be supported, but as sKy stated, just cause it's a file server does'nt mean it provides unlicenced copies of copyright-protected works, or distributes otherwize illegal material.

With all that off my mind, I can see both legitimate and illegal use of such a module. Such a module would also interfere with the current transfer-module, since this module already handles any and all incoming dcc file transfers.
I'd say you'd be better off using a simple script to request the files you desire, and set up permissions properly to allow others to send files to your eggdrop.
NML_375
Alchera
Revered One

File serving

Post by Alchera »

The Administrator of these forums made a policy decision some time ago and it is unwavering; no assistance relating to file serving (including Torrents).

Such posts are (normally) sent to the Junk Yard.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Might be a good idea to update the forum rules to clearly specify that anything regarding file-sharing is not permitted, rather than the current stating "no piracy". Otherwize you'd end up with frustrated posters that followed the "no piracy"-rule (and the others), yet find their posts "unwanted".

Of course you are free to state the rules to be used on this forum, it would be a wize however if the written rules reflect the enforced ones...
NML_375