This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop Won't run in BackGround

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
e
eXcel
Voice

Eggdrop Won't run in BackGround

Post by eXcel »

Hey,

I have a real problem and I cant seem to find the solution anywhere. When I run the bot with ./eggdrop -n it runs fine and connects everything is swell.

However, when I do ./eggdrop it runs in the background but it doesnt seem to Connect to the IRC network.

I have the user file and everything it just wont run in BG.

What could be wrong?

Thanks guys!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Most likely an issue with threaded tcl-libraries not being properly detected.

Try editing eggdrop.h after running ./configure, and define the HAVE_TCL_THREADS macro, then recompile.
NML_375
e
eXcel
Voice

Post by eXcel »

So do I just add:

#define HAVE_TCL_THREADS

EDIT that worked

and THANKS SOOO MUCH. <3
x
x-treem
Voice

Post by x-treem »

i have same problem.
I tried adding #define HAVE_TCL_THREADS with no luck. Any other guess?

I'm running on a Virtual Machine with Ubuntu

EDIT

My fault, i tryed a make clean with no succes, still stuck when backgrounded, then i completely deleted eggdrop/ and eggdrop1.16.19/, re-extracted the src and recompiled with the HAVE_TCL_THREADS mod in eggdrop.h and everything worked fine.

Thanks
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Well, I just recompiled my Tcl without threads, and then eggdrop went into background again just fine. Tcl 8.5.5.

I'm sure the above option would have worked too but this seemed easier at the time.

Edit: The above also works. Seems ./configure isn't setting this.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

incith wrote:...
Edit: The above also works. Seems ./configure isn't setting this.
Due to changes in the internal layout of tcl since 8.5.x, the configure script cannot detect threaded libraries using the "old" hack, and thus think it's non-threaded. This issue has been known for a rather long time, yet no suitable solution has been decided/implemented sofar.

You'll find a few threads on this forum regarding this issue aswell if you do alittle searching.
NML_375
incith
Master

Post by incith »

It is fixed in eggdrop 1.6.20 cvs, and thus it will be fixed in the next official release of eggdrop. But for now just do the above, it is easiest.