This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC chat working through putty, not dcc chat thorugh mirc

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
s
starpossen
Op

DCC chat working through putty, not dcc chat thorugh mirc

Post by starpossen »

This is odd (I think) I just got a new router, and now I can't dcc chat though my irc client, but through putty the telnet works just fine.

I've searched around about portforwarding, but didn't find anything usefull, unless my searchskills still are weak.

I never had this problem before, my old netgear router I just forwarded the port which I use in my config, and that was it, all worked fine.

Now with my current linksys router it just won't work.

Any ideas?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

starpossen wrote:I never had this problem before, my old netgear router I just forwarded the port which I use in my config, and that was it, all worked fine.
Would that be the port(s) your irc-client uses for outbound dcc chat requests?
NML_375
s
starpossen
Op

Post by starpossen »

I use port 8888 in my bots config, which is the port i've always used, and it's been working perfectly, but not now.

However, I just tried /ctcp eggdrop chat
and that works.

Any thoughts?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Yup, you're thinking in the wrong direction, sort of...
When you initiate a dcc chat request, your irc client will open a listening socket, and transmit the ip and port of that socket to the other end (in this case, your bot). In order for your bot to connect the dcc session, the incoming connection to your irc client must be let through (hence, you must let your router forward that port to the computer where you run your irc client).
NML_375
s
starpossen
Op

Post by starpossen »

So what you're saying is that my workstation should be forwarded to 8888
and not the server?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Depends on your networking setup.. Is your client, your eggdrop, or both behind the router?

If your eggdrop is behind the firewall and listening on port 8888, you would have to forward incoming connections on port 8888 to the system hosting your eggdrop. This will make telnetting to your bot possible, aswell as /ctcp chat.

If your irc client is behind the firewall, you would have to forward proper ports to your workstation. This will make /dcc chat possible. Which ports need to be forwarded here depends on how your client is setup, as it is your client which is responsible for opening a temporary listening port.

A quick walk through of the handshake might help explain things:
  1. User types /dcc chat bot
  2. Client opens a random listening port. (opened port was 1234)
  3. Client creates a CTCP-DCC message stating "DCC CHAT chat <longip> 1234" and sends it over irc to eggdrop
  4. Eggdrop recieves request and decides to accept it.
  5. Eggdrop tries to connect to the ip and port supplied.
  6. Dcc connection established, eggdrop asks for password
In this case, <longip> would have to be whatever address your irc client would be reachable at (such as 85.123.123.123, not 192.168.1.1). If you are using a broadband router at home, you would have to forward the port (1234) to the machine behind the router where your client resides.

Some clients, including clients such as mirc, do allow you to specify in which range it will open random ports for dcc, etc. With these clients, you'll have to forward the whole port-range in order for dcc to work reliably.
NML_375
p
pebblesF
Voice

Post by pebblesF »

Read this and it helped a bit but am new to the eggdrop stuff, have the latest version. running on a xandro's pro distro.

I have 2 boxes, 1 running xp pro with Mirc
the other running the Xandros pro with the latest eggbot.

heres my problem and I am using a linksys router. windows firewall is turned off as is the one in xandros

I have no issue telenetting to the bot from my xp pro box. but can not. and non of my other user OPs can either get to the bot thru CTCP chat to the BOT.

now I do have for right now. the DMZ wide open on the router to the bots machine IP 192.168.1.104. which should allow any port to come thru and talk correct.
why is no one able to connect. am i missing something.

help if you can please
it's drivign me nuts.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

pebblesF:
With mirc, you can specify a range of ports that mirc will use for dcc sessions. Set this to a rather narrow range (ex 2300-2400), and set your linksys to forward these ports to your xp box. Also have your linksys forward your eggdrop's listening port(s) and the ports set in reserved-portrange to your Xandros.

In your eggdrop, make sure nat-ip is set to the external IP.

In your mirc client, check that it detects and uses your external IP. Setting should be somewhere around dcc settings, and you're provided a few options to detect IP from client or server or such, "server" usually works best here.

With this setup, anyone outside your linksys will be able to both /dcc chat and /ctcp chat. Since your system is behind the linksys itself, wether it will work for you or not depends on your firmware (some versions use linux iptables for routing, which has a few issues with NAT routing when you try to connect to the external IP from within your LAN). If you do have some difficulties, add the script below, and simply /ctcp youreggie lchat. Just remember to replace <port> with whatever port your eggdrop listens for incoming connections (see "listen user" in your config).

Code: Select all

bind ctcp - lchat localchat
proc localchat {nick host hand dest key text} {
 if {[isbotnick $dest]} {
  puthelp "PRIVMSG $nick :\001DCC CHAT chat [myip] <port>\001"
 }
}
NML_375
p
pebblesF
Voice

Post by pebblesF »

nml375....:)

OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU..

I set everything as you stated and had the other users set the stuff.. and it is all working great now...

I can't thank you enough....
kudos to you...

I'd Kiss you but have no idea where you are.. LOL

Tabatha