This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Getting Started: Eggdrop Bot / Shell Account / Setup Help

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
l
lordsunce
Voice

Getting Started: Eggdrop Bot / Shell Account / Setup Help

Post by lordsunce »

Ok, first off lemme say that I'm new to eggdrob bots. I have done stuff with mIRC scripting before.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Sun Ce, a proboards forum administrator.

Our forum, DoTK, has recently been browsing through chat boxes in an effort to allow our members some freedom for discussion and general chitchat.

Most of the ones online though cost money, which we don't have, or if they are free, they are usually more of a bother than a help.

I recently found a coding snipper from Mibbit.com that allows you to create an IRC channel box in the forum page, where users can join IRC if they have no real knowledge of it, and talk in the channel.

This seems to be our best option, and allows us a deal of freedom.

Currently we have one channel, though it's not up on the forum yet. It's located on the Darkmyst Server, under the channel name #DoTK.

I have gotten interested in Eggdrop because of it's ability to be hosted on a shell account. I am interested in using this facet to create a bot to remain in our channels.

I am horribly new at this stuff. Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Here is the stuff I need help with, though I am trying to find info where I can on the net.

The Bot
This will be a simple bot really, I don't want a ton of functionality on it. It will have access to a few commands and for the most part sit on the IRC channel and keep it open for us.

The scripting for the bot would include the following:
Leash Script (if possible) - Where I, on a registered specific username, can send a PM to the Bot itself, and this will make the bot kick, ban, +v, +o, +m, or say or act out the things I specify. I know this can be done with mIRC, but I'm unsure if it works on Eggdrop bots.

The Shell Account
I have a shell account pending on Shellium.org. From what I can understand in reading online, I will need an FTP to upload my bot files into the Shell. And an SSH client to do things with the bot? I think this means I can cause the bot to restart itself through the SSH? Or I can use it to turn the bot off or whatnot?

I am not sure what else I will need. Do you guys have any guides, or can someone walk me through this? I have some simple coding knowledge in mIRC, this basically being stuff like giving a voice command to the bot and having it react in specific ways. I do not have any knowledge of javascripting or other code. That stuffs over my head -_-

I have downloaded a copy of eggdrop1.6.19.tar.gz
So on that front I believe I am prepared.

From what I gather, I need to find an FTP client now, and Putty which is supposed to be a good SSH client.

That's all I've managed to understand to this point.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM