This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Uptime module - any known bugs?

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
Exterus
Voice

Uptime module - any known bugs?

Post by Exterus »

Hi!

I have a question that touches both the uptime module and the eggheads uptime contest. I know this site isn't directly involved in the contest, but the eggheads page links here, so I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Alright, I loaded the module and the bot showed up at the uptime contest page fine at first, but after a few days it was labelled "untrustworthy". Plus, another entry with the same bot name showed up, with the exact same stats. On the info page for the bot, it also says it has only sent 1 packet, even though its uptime is at 10 days by now.

So, are there any known bugs in that module that might cause this? I know about the .restart bug in some earler versions of eggdrop, but that was resolved, right?

http://uptime.eggheads.org/?botnick=Pajsaren
s
starpossen
Op

Post by starpossen »

Maybe it's because you got 3 eggs running?
Im no guru in this module, so i'm just guessing.

For me the module works just fine using version v1.6.18
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

eggheads.org wrote:"Why is my bot marked as untrustworthy?"

Your bot's uptime is based off the original uptime value you send -- for some reason people cheat and change this original value to make their bot look like it has a higher uptime than it really does. So to help prevent cheating if the first packet your bot sends has an uptime greater than 4 days it will be marked as untrustworthy. There is also a bug in the uptime module for Eggdrop v1.6.10 and below, where if you type ".restart" the module will be unloaded and reloaded -- and the uptime value changes because of this. This bug has been corrected in Eggdrop v1.6.11 and your bot should no longer be marked as untrustworthy if you ".restart".
Exterus
Voice

Post by Exterus »

I have one eggdrop running. No more.

And yes, I have read the entry about untrustworthiness on the uptime site. It does not explain WHY my bot has been marked as untrustworthy when I know I'm not cheating. That why I asked if there are any known bugs in the uptime module (except the restart bug, which I mentioned I knew about) that could cause this, or if I have somehow managed to screw it up on my end.
S
Soth
Voice

Uptime module (apparently) stops reporting

Post by Soth »

My bot just stops being listed at all over about a day or so of uptime. Anybody else have similar problems?
J
Joori
Voice

Post by Joori »

Bit of an old thread and sorry to bump it up, but yeah, I'm having the same problem. My eggdrop has been up a day less than my box's uptime ~58 day mark.. and despite a .restart it still shows my eggdrop as being untrustworthy and with no rank number! ...running eggdrop 1.6.19. I thought this bug was fixed? :roll:
No Haters, No Spies, Just the love 'tween my thighs!
e
evilchen
Voice

Post by evilchen »

Hi there,

i've got the same problem.
I'm running 2 eggdrops V 1.6.18

after an hard Restart of the Eggdrops, they are shown for a view days in the List.
after a couple of days they send only 3 or 4 uptime packets.
after maybe 2 or 3 weeks they aren't listet anymore.

i'm sad about this, bcaus my bots are mostly running for Jears without a reboot.
it wouldn't be a Problem to be on one of the highest places of the Score ;)
Nichts ist so langweilig wie ein Klogang ohne buch.
Oder doch?
Z
ZubaZ
Voice

uptime problem

Post by ZubaZ »

So in fact there are only problems and no solution.

I did some testing with tcpdump by grepping the ip of uptime.eggheads.org and find out that actually the port on which the module should send the packet, is giving connection refused. There is any blacklist that we should know of? Or maybe there are some wrong parameters in the module souce.

Code: Select all

chuck:~# tcpdump -vvv -n -i eth2|grep 208.68.107.168
tcpdump: listening on eth2, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
^@11:00:00.323766 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 0, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 90) XXXXXXXXX.32773 > 208.68.107.168.9969: UDP, length 62

chuck:~# telnet 208.68.107.168 9969
Trying 208.68.107.168...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
This could be the reason of the failure?
Any feedback from developers appreciated!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

The uptime 'pings' are sent using UTP-packets, which are connectionless. As such, you cannot use the telnet application for testing.
Last edited by nml375 on Sun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NML_375
D
DOSman
Voice

Uptime Contest - Any idea's?

Post by DOSman »

I have an eggdrop bot v6.15 with v1.2 uptime module. This should meet the minimum requirements. My bot used to be on the list but now it is not.
A search on the site did not find it. My bot currently has an uptime of 415 days, and I have reached over a year on other occasions. I just think if might be fun to compete the next time I restart a bot.

That said, and having read and complied with the info page and checked the forums does anyone have any concrete suggestions on how to approach entering this contest? Is there a point of contact?
e
evilchen
Voice

Post by evilchen »

At this time i don't have any solutions.

I'm still in hope.
Oder doch?
D
DOSman
Voice

Uptime contest

Post by DOSman »

Thanks for the reply evilchen, We are boh hoping, just wish there was something we could do in the meantime.
g
grnbrg
Voice

Uptime contest fixed.

Post by grnbrg »

I spent some time working with the devs early in the year, and the uptime contest is now working properly. The main issue was that the logging daemon on the uptime.eggheads.org host was for some reason losing it's connection to the MySQL database that records the contest.

Changes were made to the daemon to fix this, and to drop many bots that were behaving suspiciously. I also produced a patch to the uptime module that randomizes the time that the updates are sent. Originally (and for the foreseeable future, until the patch becomes more widely used) the uptime module sent it's update packets around the top of the hour, and the server would see a noticeable spike in traffic. The patch sends an update every 0-(12 hours * 3600) seconds, which averages out to once every 6 hours or so.

So, if you're running a bot with the uptime module enabled that has been started since around January, check the contest -- you're probably in it and up to date. If you've got an uptime of more than 6 months or so, you're probably flagged as "untrustworthy". :( Patch your uptime module, and restart your bot.

It's on!

grnbrg.
e
evilchen
Voice

Post by evilchen »

thanks for the time u send.
I'll test the patches u made when i find the Time to do so.

I'll report here...
Oder doch?