This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

MegaHal and speech

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
N
NcongruNt
Voice

MegaHal and speech

Post by NcongruNt »

I apologize if this has already been posted. I couldn't find it in my searches.

I'm running an eggdrop bot with the MegaHal module in interest of it learning speech in an active channel. While it is working well so far, I have not been able to find a way to keep it from speaking back when spoken to. The novelty of the bot has caused several members to over-use it and constantly address the bot for entertaining responses, to the ire of some of the ops. Short of setting the channel +m and the bot -v, is there a way to have the bot learn silently and not respond to mentions of its name in channel?

I considered setting +learnall and leaving it at that, but from the documentation, It seems that setting +megahal is requisite for this and also defaults the bot to respond to its name, which i'm trying to avoid.

Any ideas?
N
NcongruNt
Voice

Done and done. Answered my own question.

Post by NcongruNt »

Answering my own question, i tried setting the channel only as +learnall and it seems to be picking up phrases that I feed it without responding when addressed. Sorted.
N
NcongruNt
Voice

Post by NcongruNt »

And.... perhaps I spoke to soon. Initially when I set the bot up in a test channel, set only to +learnall, it didn't respond when spoken to, but assimilated phrases I passed to it. I put it in the channel where I want it to learn and set it only to +learnall, and it responds to mention of its name.

Any ideas on what else I could do to keep it quiet yet still learning?
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

NcongruNt wrote:And.... perhaps I spoke to soon. Initially when I set the bot up in a test channel, set only to +learnall, it didn't respond when spoken to, but assimilated phrases I passed to it. I put it in the channel where I want it to learn and set it only to +learnall, and it responds to mention of its name.

Any ideas on what else I could do to keep it quiet yet still learning?
Create a channel with just you, and the bot. Now you enter the other-channel you wish the bot to learn from. The bot doesn't join this other-channel. Then you echo (via mirc script or similar) from this other-channel to the channel with just you and the bot. This is how I've done it. Echo channels seem to be the only way.
N
NcongruNt
Voice

Post by NcongruNt »

Oof, that's a lot of trouble to go to. I'll have to see about setting that up. For now, I've gotten it unbanned, and people have chilled out from talking to it all the time. You'd think that since there's a learn-only mode in the regular megahal, it would have been implemented as an option in the eggdrop module.

I wonder how hard that would be to implement.