This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

nicklen problem

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
r
roughnecks
Voice

nicklen problem

Post by roughnecks »

Code: Select all

.set handlen
Currently: 9

.set handlen 15
Error: can't set "handlen": read-only variable
Hi, the eggdrop.conf is set to Network Type 5
nick-len is set to 15

and before compiling eggdrop1.6.19+ctcpfix i changed the handlen to 15 in src/eggdrop.h

Code: Select all

#define HANDLEN 15   /* valid values 9->NICKMAX  */
#define NICKMAX 32  /* valid values HANDLEN->32 */
What's the problem ?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

handlen is, and should be write-protected, as it is merely provided as a way for scripters to read the value of the HANDLEN macro definition.

Since the HANDLEN macro is an integral part of the userfile, altering it will render any old userfiles incompatible, and will prevent linking with eggdrop's using a different HANDLEN macro value.

Since the value of handlen is 9, you most likely either failed to edit src/eggdrop.h prior compiling, or make did not notice src/eggdrop.h had been altered, or did not build the dependancy-tree properly.

Regardless, having NICKMAX defined to 32 and setting nick-len 15 should allow your eggdrop to work well on irc networks permitting 15 character long nicknames. Remember, handles does not have to be identical to one users's irc nickname (although that might be preferrable from an admin's point of view in some occasions).
NML_375
r
roughnecks
Voice

Post by roughnecks »

nml375 wrote: Since the value of handlen is 9, you most likely either failed to edit src/eggdrop.h prior compiling, or make did not notice src/eggdrop.h had been altered, or did not build the dependancy-tree properly.
How can i check these things ?
I edited eggdrop.h with nano and the code i pasted in the first post is taken directly from the file.

What is it the dependancy-tree ?
Thanks.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Well, if you've doublechecked the contents of src/eggdrop.h after recompiling your eggdrop, that would rule out the first possibility.

The dependancy-tree I'm talking of are the make-rules (in your makefile), which dictates how make/gmake should test whether a file is current (more recent timestamp than it's sources) or has to be re-built.

Try "make clean" or "make distclean", then ./configure and the rest... and don't forget the make install (would probably be a good idea to remove all the old eggdrop binaries, just to make sure).
NML_375
r
roughnecks
Voice

Post by roughnecks »

nml375 wrote: Try "make clean" or "make distclean", then ./configure and the rest... and don't forget the make install (would probably be a good idea to remove all the old eggdrop binaries, just to make sure).
I even installed in a new path, after compiling in a new directory.
No-way.

Thank you again for helping me.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Then I am out of ideas..

My best suggestion is to live with shorter handle names, and set nick-len to match your irc network.
NML_375
r
roughnecks
Voice

Post by roughnecks »

nml375 wrote:My best suggestion is to live with shorter handle names, and set nick-len to match your irc network.
indeed.