This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Good alternative to psybnc?

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
S
ShavdApe
Halfop

Good alternative to psybnc?

Post by ShavdApe »

Looking for something that does the same sorts of things as psybnc, Ive used it for some time so i kinda know my way around it but lately things have gone from bad to worse with it.

For a long time I had the same problem where I could connect fine one day but the next day I tried I was unable to connect to it unless I restarted it which kinda defeats the purpose of an always connected bnc. I fixed that for a while by installing a newer version I wasnt aware there was one but I found one so i installed that all seemed fine but now.
Now I am pretty much unable to connect to efnet at all i get the same problem constantly

[09:11] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:36:51 :User shavedape () trying irc.inet.tele.dk port 6669.
[09:11] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:37:21 :User shavedape got disconnected from server.
[09:14] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:39:06 :User shavedape () trying irc.efnet.info port 6667.
[09:14] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:39:36 :User shavedape got disconnected from server.
[09:16] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:41:21 :User shavedape () trying irc.pte.hu port 6669.
[09:16] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:41:51 :User shavedape got disconnected from server.
[09:18] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:43:37 :User shavedape () trying efnet.xs4all.nl port 6669.
[09:18] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:44:07 :User shavedape got disconnected from server.
[09:20] <-psyBNC> Tue Feb 8 08:45:52 :User shavedape () trying irc.efnet.nl port 6669.

I restart and sometimes that fixes it but not all the time so im thinking maybe I need to try a different bnc software.
k
kenh83
Halfop

Post by kenh83 »

znc.
b
blake
Master

Post by blake »

Yup I agree with ken ZNC will probs be your best bet many features available through modules aswell as a webadmin page to be able to control znc
S
ShavdApe
Halfop

Post by ShavdApe »

Wanted to say a quick thank you
Compiled znc today although for some reason the latest one just kept making the shell crash so on 0.094 instead of 0.096 but if it works I can live with that.

Instantly better connection so im happy and although a little confusing at first znc looks pretty good so thanks for the advice.
k
kenh83
Halfop

Post by kenh83 »

np! make sure to read over the documentation.

What was the exact error you were getting while trying to compile 0.096?

What os?

Also, don't forget about #znc on EFNet.
S
ShavdApe
Halfop

Post by ShavdApe »

Its running Debian-4 I believe and it basically caused my Virtual Server to run out of memory had the support guy look at it and he added more memory and it still ran out of memory apparently.

0.094 no such problems though I did receive an error stating that I was trying to run it without installing it even though I followed the install from the documentation.

To be honest im just happy to not have the issues I was having with psy anymore.
y
yelow79
Voice

Post by yelow79 »

the error stating that you where trying to run without install is because znc is now designed to be installed using aptitude. the documentation is a little bit outdated but you wouldn't be seeing that if you installed it using aptitude or apt-get. there is an option to run from location or something like that. if you head on over to #znc on efnet they will help you get that fixed.

it's run from source if you do ./znc --help
you may be able to find it on your own.

could possibly be ./configure --enable-runfromsource
but looking at that it doesn't look right.