This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

telnet (dcc chat) to eggdrop using tcl / xchat without irc

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
d
desired
Voice

telnet (dcc chat) to eggdrop using tcl / xchat without irc

Post by desired »

To be exact the topic should be only telnet to eggdrop using tcl / xchat without irc. I added dcc chat in brackets because it's more known then telnet. Telnet has almost the same features as dcc chat but I always found telnet to be less comfortable.

Telnet is always useful if the bot won't come to irc, to see whats up. No irc connection needed. Just set the listen port inside the eggdrop configuration. An advantage of telnet is that it does not need any port forwarding on client side.

There is no more need to use ugly telnet clients. Windows 7 doesn't even have one by default installation and you are typing blindly, copy & paste is uncomfortable, colours are not supported and also notifications (blink on new message) are not available.

I was always looking, goggling and thinking about alternatives.

Telnet isn't must magic. Actually the implementation is quite simple. Look at http://www.scriptkitties.com/tclplugin/ and download Example Tcl Plugin Scripts. Inside the archive is a telnet.tcl. I had to change all 'print $::telnettab "$..."' to puts $..., dunno why, but that's xchat related and I will learn that later.

It's a little slow, but sufficient, copy/paste/notifications do work and even colours aren't distorted.

If you have trouble setting this up, I'd recommend the login in shell and to 'telnet localhost listenport' to see if telnet does work before you think about implementing it in tcl.

It's not limited to xchat, there are other clients with tcl support, but I am using xchat for now, because then I do have no need to develop a gui and all can be nicely integrated into the irc client.

This isn't news but also nothing what can be already found in the forums.
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: telnet (dcc chat) to eggdrop using tcl / xchat without i

Post by willyw »

desired wrote: ...
Telnet has almost the same features as dcc chat but I always found telnet to be less comfortable.
If you have not already tried it, check out:
http://forum.egghelp.org/viewtopic.php?t=18625
sometime.

It has worked well, with a couple of folks that I've told about it so far.
Made it easy for them to get logged in on partyline.
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

I know it. I even posted in that thread and I use it.

But it has some limitations. No source code, written in Delphi, therefore no adjustments possible, no encryption.

This is more like a long term project. It was only the first preparatory step. Next is to integrate is nicely into the irc client and to use encryption.
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.