This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop Telnet Client

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

arfer wrote:I can't say I fully understand what you are saying desired. Telnet localhost?.
Okay, hard to explain for me. But I try.
1. Login to your shell account using Putty (or any other SSH client).
2. type: telnet 127.0.0.1 <telnet-port-of-your-eggdrop>
3. enter username and password
3. BOOM, you are on the partyline
...Okay, admittedly, that partyline looks ugly.

But that is where Defero goes into action.
1. You use your SSH implementation. You wanted to implement SSH so or so. Login to your shell account.
2. Let Defero also type telnet 127.0.0.1 <telnet-port>
3. enter username and password
4. from here Defero will manage all incoming and outgoing and make the telnet chat look more pretty, just as the current direct telnet connection right now.

Hope that is a good idea. Any questions?
arfer wrote:In any case I have already implemented a testbed SSH connection window in Defero using SSHBlackBox components to launch a seperate window and automatically login using password authentication rather than the normal keyboard authentication, but there are two difficulties.

1. Many SSH shell bash prompts these days are what might be termed semi-graphical using Linux character sets G1 and G2. I haven't yet found these character sets in order to attempt to translate them, though I haven't searched long and hard. I would consider this problem do'able.

2. My testbed SSH connection is rather primitive and would definitely not cope with things like command line editors, nano and the like, though it is adequate for most bash commands. I could attempt to build a complete vt emulation to translate keystroke by keystroke (both ways of course), or preferably find a suitable third party emulator (form based, not console based). Since the latter has proven difficult to find, this problem is rather less do'able though I might yet give it a go. I am currently looking at the potential for terminal emulation in TMS Async32 components. It would be in keeping with my ultimate goal of having an 'all-in-one' Eggdrop tool .. TELNET/SSH/(S)FTP.

There are probably more important things to do first. The programming environment I used is getting rather aged, I would like to upgrade to Delphi XE2 and change socket technology to make easier the added functionality of IPv6 and SSL. Pretty big jobs for a single developer. Cost is an issue too.
I know all that stuff is quite complicated. That's why I suggested to utilize Putty for that job, if that's possible at all. Like WinSCP, they also use the Putty SSH implementation.
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

OK I get what you mean now.

We are on somewhat different wavelengths. You are talking about using the linux command line telnet client to get on the bot's party line from an SSH connection to the shell. There you can possibly use 127.0.0.1 because the bot is on that same shell.

I'm talking about building an SSH client into Defero much like Putty, eliminating the need for a seperate piece of software. This is something I've already done with limited functionality for the reasons I previously posted.

If anyone else is reading these posts, I need a little help. What emulation is generally used in a shell SSH connection? I'm assuming something like VT100.
I must have had nothing to do
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

Ok, I downloaded new version, fresh installed, and I am quite impressed. Almost perfect.

- your option, not to clear console on connection break down, is great

- disable scroll lock feature missing (new messages will always force to scroll down, that can be disturbing when you want to read something a while ago and the bot keeps sending new messages)

- can not write special chars such as [ ] { }, but when I copy them, it's working

- Connecting takes very long (~90 seconds), it feels like something is wrong. CPU is not the problem (dual core, no work) and also not traffic (tested in LAN). (Seen with telnet) The first step on partyline "Telnet connection" is very fast but then it takes long until it's really connected.
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Thanks for your comments desired

Scroll lock is activated using the button with a padlock image. It is a toggle button. The image will change from an open padlock to a closed padlock when activated (clicked), and back again when the button is clicked again. Note two things. Firstly, the feature only works when Defero is connected AND you are on the party line (note the title bar caption). Secondly, it is not strictly speaking a lock when activated. It will merely prevent subsequent messages from the connected bot from scrolling the console area to caret. You will still be able to scroll manually.

I have no idea why you cannot type and send text including special characters from the input area. I can do that. However, if you mean the console area then you will find you cannot type anything there. Only copy is allowed, it is read only.

A delay between connecting and joining the party line is generally due to the bot waiting for an ident timeout, though 90 seconds does seem excessive unless you have modified the .conf file setting. Defero has a built in ident server which will respond to requests on the usual port 113. Please ensure traffic on this port is allowed and, in the case of a router, directed to the PC on which you are using the software.

The following typifies what I get when I connect to one of my bots

Connecting to copper1617 at 67.220.77.100:10100
Connected ... Awaiting Response
Ident Request : Peer Address 67.220.77.100 : Peer Port 56479
Ident Response : 56479, 10100 : USERID : UNIX : arfer

copper1617 (Eggdrop v1.6.17 (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2004 Eggheads)
If you do not see the ident request/response above then this is most likely confirmation that traffic on port 113 is not reaching Defero.

Otherwise, if you navigate to the online help page from Defero Help menu and select FAQ, you will see a section on connection issues. Please have a read of that and advise. I most definitely recommend you use 'protect-telnet 0' in the bot's .conf file.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Just to correct something in my post above. I rechecked the code and the scroll lock functions if you are merely connected. You do not need to be on the party line.

Can I also stress that connection issues such as the delay reported by desired are crucial. The whole point of Defero is to promote connection by telnet client to the preferred method (ahead of /dcc chat and /ctcp chat). Immediate connection without having to repeatedly input username and/or password plus disconnecting from one bot and connecting to another with a minimum of mouse clicks. Anything that interferes with this functionality kind of defeats the object of using the software. I am pleased to confirm this by way of the number of people reporting that they now only ever use Defero to get onto their bot's partyline, but you do have to address connection issues to see the benefit.

http://defero.ircspeed.org/faq/faq-connect.html

*** edited 07/06/12 to correct page link above
Last edited by arfer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

arfer wrote: ...
The whole point of Defero is to promote connection by telnet client to the preferred method (ahead of /dcc chat and /ctcp chat).

How about connection to more than one bot, at same time? Will that ever be possible?
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

Okay, protect-telnet has been set to 0 and set ident-timeout 10 to 10. I think ident-timeout was critical here. My firewall didn't allow to listen on the ident port.

I also think I understood why you did add an ident server. If the ident request will be answered fast, then Defero can input the passwort and the user is connected fast. Otherwise it has to wait until the ident timeout and enters username and password then.

The scroll lock toogle button works for me, I wasn't aware of it, it's a great feature.

Open issue is still that I can not enter [ and ]. I am talking about the text insert line at the bottom, where I can type normally, like .tcl..., that's working. Chars like ".,#-aW><1!"§$%&/()=?" I can enter, I simply press the button or [censored] + button. What seams not work is the Alt Gr button. So for example Alt Gr + 8 will not result in a [.

But when I write a [ somewhere else, I can insert it and the bot will understand. Operating system is German Windows 7 home premium SP3, German qwertz keyboard, I never had such a problem in any other program.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

willyw, yes I have plans to allow multiple connections. It depends just how do'able it is for a single developer and other commitments. I am still busy building the new website, once done you will see it there in the todo list. Thanks for your suggestion.

desired, I do not have much of a clue regarding Alt-Gr except for the explanation on the following website. It seems to be a feature of your German keyboard set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

Can I ask why? Do you not have the character [ on the main keyboard character set?

If you have a numeric keypad try Alt-91 and advise
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

I never thought about the Alt Gr key, it's normal for me. Until now I never had any problems with it anywhere.

Here is a pretty good picutre of the German qwertz keyboard from wiki.

Alt-91 does work, it will result in [ in Defero.

Only AltGr+8 will only in Defero not result in a [. Am I the first and only German user who wanted to write "["? :)
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Might add that scandinavian keyboards also feature the Alternate Graphics key, and it's used for quite a large set of characters, not just brackets.
In most cases, you can use Ctrl + Alt to access the same characters as with AltGr. However, that does not mean they are equal to one another.

A quick search does reveal that there's been some issues regarding Alt vs AltGr vs Ctrl+Alt in the Delphi world, especially with handling shortcuts in the IDE.

Oh, as for swedish keyboard, the following characters are accessed using the AltGr key (using Windows, the set is quite larger for recent linux dists):
@£$€{[]}\€~|µ
NML_375
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

OK desired, I found the problem regarding the Alt-Gr key but I'm still giving some thought to the best solution. The biggest clue was your report that you did not experience this issue in any other software. There is nothing peculiar in Delphi as a Windows programming environment that would uniquely cause this at runtime. As it turns out, it is my code. I will try to explain.

Many Ctrl-key commands cause the computer bell to sound. Though annoying, it doesn't effect normal functionality of the various key combinations. Nonetheless, I decided to code the bell sounds out.

Where I needed the Ctrl-key combination as per those indicated in

http://defero.ircspeed.org/help/help-input.html

I used a command to flush the last character from the message queue and then reprogrammed the key manually. Where I did not need the key combination (all other Ctrl-key) combinations I merely flushed the character. No annoying bell.

However, as nml375 pointed out, AltGr-key is pretty much the same thing as Ctrl-Alt-key on Windows systems. As per the explanation above I have nullified all the unwanted key combinations involving Ctrl. Hence, AltGr-key combinations do not work. I have verified this already by applying a temporary modfication and confirming, for example, that a UK keyboard AltGr-4 yields a Euro currency symbol. LOL! that won't be needed much longer the way things are going.

I can't manually code the AltGr-key combinations because the effect varies widely depending on the keyboard, so I'm still giving it some thought. I will probably continue to flush Ctrl-key combinations except where Alt is also pressed. In any case I will advise when a new version is available for you to try.

*** edited 07/06/12 to correct the page link above
Last edited by arfer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

desired, I have just uploaded version 1.2.3.533

http://defero.ircspeed.org/download.html

Hopefully this will fix the AltGr issues. Uninstall defero from your computer as normal and install the new version. Verify using the Help - About menu item.

Please advise if it now functions as expected.

For other users, if you have been following this thread you will note that this functionality depends on the keyboard localisation. For example, UK keyboard users will not suddenly be able to use AltGr-8 to generate a left square bracket. Such a thing is normal for a German keyboard. A full list of keyboards and AltGr keys is on the wiki site I previously posted.

*** edited 07/06/12 to correct the page link above
Last edited by arfer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

I made a short test. It's working now. Great, thanks!

By the way, sorry for reporting that bug so lately, it came earlier to my mind, but I always falsely thought "known bug, verified bug, fix promised, will be fixed in further version", with the new version I wondered why it has not been fixed.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

New version (2.0.0.714) released with improved user interface and capability of multiple simultaneous connections.

http://defero.ircspeed.org

Options form including fonts and translations have been dropped, at least temporarily. Too much resource required whilst I wish to concentrate effort on functionality.

This version should be IPv6 compliant. Would much appreciate somebody confirming this. All feedback very welcome.

At this time the website is very unfinished. I will complete construction as soon as possible.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Sorry for any inconvenience but I just located a long standing bug concerning an error message on the Edit Connection form when no changes have been made. Deliberately creating errors in order to make screenshots for the new website turned up the bug. This makes relatively little material difference as evidenced by nobody noticing or mentioning it.

Nonetheless, as a consequence, I have released version 2.0.0.715 on the download page you can navigate to from from http://defero.ircspeed.org

I have also removed the external download tracker, in case this was making anybody uncomfortable