This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

ping timeouts

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
t
teegg
Voice

ping timeouts

Post by teegg »

Hey all,

My eggdrop was working fine for a few weeks and now I get frequent ping timeouts. I get the following on DCC chat:

-ERROR from server- Closing Link: botname[hostname](Ping timeout)

On my mirc client it seems that I get a pong from the server around the time the eggdrop times out.

For example:
My mirc status window:
[08:33] * PONG from server
Channel notice:
[08:33] * botname (name@hostname) Quit (Ping timeout)
[08:33] * botname (name@hostname) has joined #channel

My mirc status window:
[09:01] * PONG from server
Channel notice:
[09:03] * botname (name@hostname) Quit (Ping timeout)
[09:03] * botname (name@hostname) has joined #channel

So I am guessing the server has a random ping/pong and the eggdrop isn't seeing it? Or it could be something totally different.

I run BIP on the same machine as the eggdrop and don't get any pign timeouts.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

This sounds like network issues to me. Most likely, all traffic on your uplink was interrupted for a longer while (enough for your eggdrop to timeout). When the traffic finally gets through again, you get a burst of events, including your eggdrop's disconnect and that server ping reply (pong).

As for the actual PONG, either your irc client sent a PING to the server, or your router (or other device for internet sharing) has some serious issues mixing up established connections.
NML_375