This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

oidentd doesnt work properly with psybnc

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
m
moris
Voice

oidentd doesnt work properly with psybnc

Post by moris »

hi, i've been trying and reading all i could but i simply cant make it work properly.

what i have: fedora core 3, kernel 2.6.11 (had 2.6.2 or so before and it didnt work either)
what i did:

1- installed psybnc with oidentd support

2- installed oidentd according to several faqs on the net (eg. http://www.psybnc.info/faq.html#q15 )

3- i added the group 'nogroup'
and now it comes:

4- if i _dont_ run oidentd, clients on irc going through psybnc proxy get '~userX@myhost.com' which is perfectly ok.

if i start oidentd from _init_ then it runs as /usr/sbin/oidentd -m -u nobody -g nogroup and the client gets this
'my_unix_account_name@myhost.com'

if i _dont_ start it from init but only the file itself from /usr/sbin then the clients get this 'user1@myhost.com' for
_all_ clients going through the proxy psybnc.

and of course i would need them to get 'userX@myhost.com' .. so that all get an ident response according to their
specified ident..

i wish someone could help me..
have a nice day,
moris
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

are you behind a NAT gateway/firewall? if not, there's no point of running oidentd, the normal identd should do
m
moris
Voice

Post by moris »

i need it for psybnc which needs it for quakenet, thats why i need oidentd
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

psybnc has nothing to do with it
m
moris
Voice

Post by moris »

psybnc has built-in oidentd support. i want multiple idents to use on the proxy. if you cant help with my post, pls stop your offtopic posts.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

dude, you are not really in a position to judge my posts

if you ever took a look at psybnc source, you would've noticed that all it does regarding oidentd is to put your current ident in ~/.oidentd.conf - something that you could do yourself, if you bothered to RTFM; and by the way, other identd daemons, including your vanilla fedora identd, also support dynamic idents, just like oidentd does; what makes oidentd unique, and what it should be used for, is NAT support, i.e. you can run it on your gateway/firewall machine and have it forward ident requests to your internal IPs where you possibly run mIRC

so, proclaimed "oidentd support" is simply laughable
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

demonds post was in no way off topic. I suggest in future you get the facts first before shooting your mouth off.
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
E
ElZeRo
Voice

Post by ElZeRo »

Oidentd is only to beused on Quakenet if you have trust...

And you need to edit the "oidentd.conf" file, the standart conf isnt work with TRUST on qnet.

my is looking like this :

Code: Select all

default {
	default {
		allow spoof
		allow spoof_all
		allow spoof_privport
		allow random
		allow random_numeric
		allow numeric
		allow hide
	}