This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

incith:weather (2.8p) (Dec. 18th, 2008)

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
c
cache
Master

Post by cache »

speechles wrote:New Version: Incith-weather 2.9d
Http://ereader.kiczek.com/incith-weather.tcl
Thank you very much for keeping this going for many years, I knew you would chime in eventually, I will wait till you finish doing much as you can before I add it, I prefer just the current weather of the day anyway.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

DrJinglesMD wrote:No need to get testy here. We're all here to help.
Your help in this instance was to offer another script? how (un)helpful you are. thanks.
DrJinglesMD wrote:Since the main code in this thread has been updated I removed my code. You could have let those of us know you don't appreciate our help and I'm sure we would have gladly removed it without issue.
So common sense must be taught?
DrJinglesMD wrote:Secondly maybe stop abusing Wunderground by scraping AKA stealing their data and instead use a real API that is made specifically for that?
Oh, but wait.. I am not stealing their data, you must not understand how this script works on behalf of a user. Before you speak about things you do not know. Don't speak.
DrJinglesMD wrote:Don't blame WG because they are trying to protect their assets from people utilizing their service in a way they don't want.
Indeed. Your point was?
DrJinglesMD wrote:If you did that, then none of us would have come in here offering our help.
I don't need to do anything. Nor do you.
DrJinglesMD wrote:Either way, I'm glad the script is being updated and look forward to those updates.
Either way? What other way is there?

The point is, when you post code it should apply to the script at hand, the script/code which is the reason the thread exists.

If your code does not, common sense says, make a new thread to cover your code. Attach appropriate comments and links to the original thread which caused your codes creation saying it broke I am here to fill the void.

Instead, we get what we have here. And it's just so blatantly, appalingly, a clusterf*ck. You get people discussing new scripts with code, that doesn't even belong here. Then they discuss changes to that code and fixes and... ya feel me? The point of the thread is lost, it's now just random pieces of code people have to "string" together and as such becomes a big fat mess.

Not saying it "just to be a dick" either, although the rest of this yeah maybe was to just get upset others are to disrespect my friend, jordan (incith's) work, and just throwing it down and stomping all over it. While I can dust off the footprints, and clean up the clutter most times, this time wunderground is focused solely on money. This is clear by the abundancy of advertising all over (weather.com owns them) the website. So this is not about, a few scripts simulating web-browsers and acting on behalf of single users to get their weather. The same thing will happen at the library on a library pc, it will act just like this script. Now what seperates this script from a web-browser? nothing. There is nothing "bot" about how the script works, other than it only fetches the html. Does not fetch monetizing banner images, or other types. Just the html it seeks out and starts to parse. I take offense that regular expression parsing is illegal.

Now about the API, it requires users to go get their own API token for this script since I shant be sharing my own personal with everybody. This immediately reduces the scripts audience, as it imposes something you must do. So this is a last absolutely last resort. Sorry.
t
t4uch0r
Voice

Post by t4uch0r »

Thanks for the new Version Incith-weather 2.9d.

Somehow the Temperature output is wrong:

weather request; Helsinki, Finland; Local Time: 8:50 AM (May 11, 2015); Updated: 21 seconds ago; Conditions: cld; Temperature: 7.4°F (-13.7°C); Feels-like: 7°F (-13.9°C); High/Low: 59/43°F (15/6.1°C); UV: 1/12; Humidity: 85%; Wind: SSW at 3.0 MPH (4.8 KPH)

The real Temperature was +46 F (+8 C).
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

That is weird. Wunderground only gives one temperature unit now. So there is logic to make it create the other degree unit.

Code: Select all

if {[string match "*F*" $deg)]} {
It runs the IF statement above and if that matches stores unit as F, and creates C .. ELSE .. it stores unit as C, and creates F. In your case, its reading the wrong degree unit for some reason...

What's weirder is it works for me:
!wz Helsinki, Finland
> speechles's weather request; Helsinki, Finland (60.31999969/24.96999931); Local Time: 10:28 AM (May 11, 2015); Updated: 13 minutes ago; Conditions: cld; Temperature: 48.2°F (8.5°C); Feels-like: 47°F (8.3°C); High/Low: 58/43°F (14.4/6.1°C); UV: 2/12; Humidity: 86%; Wind: West at 3.1 MPH (5.0 KPH)
So not exactly sure what is causing it to miss the unit reading. Does it do this all the time? Can you get on your bots partyline and .console +d then watch what the script sends to debug, and paste that here. Here is what it should look like:
> [00:39] got temperature 48.2 F
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

speechles wrote: ...
Here is what it should look like:
I see that in the partyline. :)

Found this in the script, in the section labeled #TEMPERATURE

putlog "got temperature $temp $deg"
Left over debugging line?
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

willyw wrote:
Here is what it should look like:
I see that in the partyline. :)

Found this in the script, in the section labeled #TEMPERATURE

putlog "got temperature $temp $deg"
Left over debugging line?
Not at all. The script isn't finished. Notice as well the #TEMPERATURE part, and all the #SECTIONS below. This was done to ease maintenance in the future. To seperate each function clearly so others can see how this works. The script also saves the entire page it tries to parse in /eggdrop as weather.txt. I can't possibly beta test the script myself, using every possible scenario. These lines (aka debug stuff) let others participate in the problem solving process, which speeds up the time we spend hunting out every issue.

@willyw
weather request; Helsinki, Finland; Local Time: 8:50 AM (May 11, 2015); Updated: 21 seconds ago; Conditions: cld; Temperature: 7.4°F (-13.7°C); Feels-like: 7°F (-13.9°C); High/Low: 59/43°F (15/6.1°C); UV: 1/12; Humidity: 85%; Wind: SSW at 3.0 MPH (4.8 KPH)

The real Temperature was +46 F (+8 C).
It's putting F on the 7.4 when it should be C. If it did that, the real temperature he was giving below would be calculated correctly. This is a good use of debug line since it can show exactly what was captured as the user makes their queries.
Last edited by speechles on Mon May 11, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

I can't possibly beta test the script myself, using every possible scenario. These lines (aka debug stuff) let others participate in the problem solving process, which speeds up the time we spend hunting out every issue.
Excellent. :)

Let me know if you have anything in particular that I can do, to help/assist.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
r
rjpearce
Voice

Post by rjpearce »

+1 Thank you for keeping this script alive, much appreciated! :)
B
Bonnie
Voice

Thank You

Post by Bonnie »

Thank you for all the work you do to keep the weather script working. I'm non coder but I think I understand the large effort you have to put into this script. Thanks :) again.

Bonnie
h
hellohello
Voice

Post by hellohello »

+1, much thanks for keeping it working!
C
CP1832
Halfop

Post by CP1832 »

Awesome work speechles. I'm not all that good in TCL but you should check out wunderground mobile (http://mobile.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/ ... New%20York), which doesn't have any javascript and might be simpler to pull the data from.
a
a_aa
Voice

Post by a_aa »

speechles wrote:That is weird. Wunderground only gives one temperature unit now. So there is logic to make it create the other degree unit.

if {[string match "*F*" $deg)]} {
It runs the IF statement above and if that matches stores unit as F, and creates C .. ELSE .. it stores unit as C, and creates F. In your case, its reading the wrong degree unit for some reason...

What's weirder is it works for me:
!wz Helsinki, Finland
> speechles's weather request; Helsinki, Finland (60.31999969/24.96999931); Local Time: 10:28 AM (May 11, 2015); Updated: 13 minutes ago; Conditions: cld; Temperature: 48.2°F (8.5°C); Feels-like: 47°F (8.3°C); High/Low: 58/43°F (14.4/6.1°C); UV: 2/12; Humidity: 86%; Wind: West at 3.1 MPH (5.0 KPH)
I too had the exact same issues as t4uch0r. I went through the script and replaced the F with C in the string you referenced, in 3 locations I believe and the issue was fixed.
I would also like to add my "Thank You" to the list of those that have previously done so. Great work keeping it alive.
s
simboy1234
Voice

Post by simboy1234 »

Thank you all for your support in reviving the script!

a_aa : thanks for the fix.

Cheers.
v
vigilant
Halfop

Post by vigilant »

Hello,

The script is not working.
It gives a wrong temperature reading
high low is unavailable

How can I fix this? Or is the script not in a working state right now?

The temperature is not close to the current temperature.
Anser Quraishi
H
Hellster
Voice

Post by Hellster »

vigilant wrote:Hello,
How can I fix this? Or is the script not in a working state right now?
Please read previous comments by speechles