This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

lagging bot

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
SaPrOuZy
Halfop

Post by SaPrOuZy »

lol

i think each on is taking the word lagging differently.

am not checking whether server2 and server3 are lagging
let's take this:

i am the bot :D
i pinged my own server and i got a 0.01 sec reply :arrow: no lag to my own server, my connection is fine...

i ping server2 and server3
i found that the reply is 0.02 and 0.01 :arrow: everything seems to be normal, the server am connected to is not lagging relatively to the other servers

i got replies : 3.21 and 4.32 :arrow: most probably the server am connected to is lagging , since both server2 and 3 had big reply time

i got replies: 0.02 and 4.32 :arrow: i can't assume that my server is lagging, because of the reply from server2 is 0.02 , it could be that server3 is the one lagging, but i don't care about it

:? i hope am not confusing you
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

you don't care about server3? what if your users are on server3 or/and servers behind it and it's server3 that sends all those legitimate JOINs at once, tricking you in locking the chan?
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
SaPrOuZy
Halfop

Post by SaPrOuZy »

mmm i guess am taking the lag effect from 1 side: that the lagging server will RECEIVE the joins suddenly, and not SEND them suddenly.

anyways in this case , it would be to complex to let the bot know everything and decide, lol trying to figure all this out might even make it lag :P hehe
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

that's why implementing anything beyond pinging your own server is simply not viable, it would become too complex with too many factors to account for

besides, you can't know what server joining users are on, so you can't really implement such a system, even if you are certain about the algorithm

however, a pure network-wide lag tracking system (one that is not coupled with protection scripts) could be implemented; in fact, it has been implemented already, at least in one instance: there was a bot on EFnet's #netsplit years ago that was announcing to the channel which server is about to split from which, and all takeover monkeys would race to that server in a bid to get ops and fight with rejoining op parties thereafter

anyway, your best bet is measuring your own lag only and take your chances from there
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
SaPrOuZy
Halfop

Post by SaPrOuZy »

anyway, your best bet is measuring your own lag only and take your chances from there
yea guess you're right, i don't think there's any script that does this, so doing it this alone is a good improvement.
thanks for the help, this was kinda fun hehe