This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

local eggdrop connection thru psyBNC...not seeing chnl info

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
Z
ZvOO
Voice

local eggdrop connection thru psyBNC...not seeing chnl info

Post by ZvOO »

Hi,
I have an eggdrop botnet in which most of the bots reside on remote shell boxes. But also, I use a few relay bots that link channels on several IRC networks. These relay bots reside on a private LAN. I used to have them connected through BNC2.9.x, but have recently changed over to psyBNC2.3.2-x. It seems to work very well, except for one problem. The part that works well is that I have psy running on several shell boxes and these relay bots connect and relay traffic very nicely... however, the part that doesn't work so well is that these local eggdrops won't retrieve the channel information for all channels that psy is connected to. For example, if psy is connected to #channel-A, #channel-B, #channel-C, and #channel-D on an IRC network, when the eggdrop connects to psy, only #channel-A and #channel-C show that they are active channels from the telnet session with the eggdrop. The other 2 channels show up, but they show up as "(pending)" status with zero users in them. Even so, the eggdrop still sees the traffic on these channels so it's actually really on them, it just doesn't know anything about them (example: the number of users, who the users are, who has ops, who joins/parts, etc.). The only way I know of to recycle the bot's record of the channel status is to kick each bot instance from the affected channels (I do it from a separate client), then when the instance rejoins the channels, the channel information is accurately refreshed to the bot. My guess is that the problem happens because the eggdrops connect too quickly to psy. I could be wrong though. One thing is for sure: the more channels the bot is connecting to at once (whether already running on psy or not), the more channels the bot fails to get information for. I've tried using the .reset command from the eggdrops, but it doesn't refresh the missing channel status info at all. Does anyone know how I can get this to work without having to kick the bots' nicks from the affected channels?
Thanks in advance.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

obviously a psybnc bug; don't use eggdrop through psybnc, or at least use the latest version (psybnc)
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

demond wrote:obviously a psybnc bug; don't use eggdrop through psybnc, or at least use the latest version (psybnc)
It's ver 2.3.2-7 which I believe is the newest release. The thing is that I want to keep the lag to a minimum (which having all of the relay bots in the same box behind my LAN router achieves nicely), and I want the bouncer to stay connected if my LAN goes down. I could put all of the relay eggs on the same remote shell box I guess. But then I'd have an additional process charge for each one to add to my many others that I already pay for. If this is a bug (and it may well be) it's hard to believe that others haven't tried to do this lots of times before and had the same problem and bitched to psy's author to fix it. Oh well, I guess :\

Thanks.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

the right solution of your problem would be a multiserver bot

unfortunately however, eggdrop developers seek to explore whatever other features they deem useful but this
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

demond wrote:the right solution of your problem would be a multiserver bot
Yes, if it were available, a multiple server bot would indeed do the job. Aside from this funky channel info problem my setup actually works quite well. I've been using this same system (but with BNC2.9.x) for years and besides not having the "always connected" feature that psy affords, it's pretty damn good. But I still don't understand why issuing the .reset command from egg won't cause it to get the channel info. I thought that's what it was supposed to do. If this command would work I think I could live with running it that way.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

.resetchan doesn't work because eggdrop has that channel in pending state, it has it in pending state probably because it hasn't seen "End Of /NAMES" yet (or end of its WHO #channel request), and it hasn't seen those likely because of psybnc resynching bug
Z
ZvOO
Voice

Post by ZvOO »

Hmm, that sounds logical to me. Then issuing a .chanset +inactive for each pending channel followed by a .chanset -inactive would presumably make it prompt the server for the chan info, I would think. I'll have to try it. Unfortunately it'll be a bit of a hassle to do it for all the channels I'm running upon every reconnect of psy. Arghh!
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

that might not help since eggdrop would still skip resynching pending channels (I haven't checked with the code though so I might be wrong), but you could at least try it