This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Trivia 2000 Version 2.1 Released

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Trivia 2000 Version 2.1 Released

Post by Ian-Highlander »

After over four years away from IRC and eggdrop I've finally got my arse in gear and am semi active again on IRC and with TCL scripting.

In my spare time over the last 6 months (I dont get much) I have been completing the development of the new version of Trivia 2000 that I started work on way back before I "retired" from the eggdrop world.

After a couple of small interim "Bugfix" releases in the last few months, I'm very pleased to announce the final release version of the next generation of "Trivia 2000" is now complete, tested and available for download.

Version 2.1 has major changes from previously released versions (the last version release four years ago was 1.1 with 1.2.5 and 1.3 being released primarily as bugfixes with a few enhancements in July and August 2005).

The full readme from the script can be seen at http://www.eggdropsrus.co.uk/download/d ... 00v2.1.txt but to summarise a few of the changes.

The script now accepts multi worded answers
The !score command now works
There is a new hints function that is switched on or off with a new command
The script will now give answers after un-answered questions, this can be switched on or off with a new command
The script will now play single question rounds as it always did OR multiple question rounds
The script will now announce how many questions are left in the round at each question, this can be switched on or off with a new command
The script now has two colour schemes built in that the user can choose between and one of these is completely user configurable to change the colours

and LOTS LOTS more.

For those of you still using Trivia 2000, I hope this has been worth the long wait, I apologise for not updating anyone in the last few years properly but am now actively working on my scripts again and will try to keep updates coming.

Future plans for Trivia 2000 still include a team game version, a quick fire competition version and quite a bit more so as long as I stay interested hopefully Trivia 2000 will grow even more.

Trivia 2000 version 2.1 can be downloaded from the "My TCL Scripts" page of my old eggdrops website (which will also be receiving a facelift in the near future) or by the direct link http://www.eggdropsrus.co.uk/download/m ... 00v2.1.zip and will be updated to the egghelp archive soon.

Thanks guys :D
"Insanity Takes Its Toll, Please Have Exact Change"
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

very good effort indeed, congrats
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Coming from you thats a serious compliment, thanks :D

Just got to try and keep the momentum going now and get back into some of my other old scripts too :lol:
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

I just re-checked the egghelp.org archive stats and Trivia 2000 has been downloaded a further 22 times since I posted this thread. There's only one problem with that, the version on the egghelp.org is the OLD version.

Guys to get the new version (2.1) you have to download it from the link in my post above for now. I HAVE submitted the update to the script for the egghelp archives but it always takes Slennox a few days to do them. So please guys if you want this script download it from my site until the version number changes on the egghelp archive.

Otherwise people wont think I've made any changes to it :lol:
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

It's now been updated so is available at both sites now. :D
h
hollow
Voice

Post by hollow »

hi i own an irc server running trivia 2000

i have a problem with it
only 3 of the questions categorys work

the rest wont i have checked and double checked and cant find anything wrong

i also have a request
is it possible that you could modify the way that it gives hints (its always gives the first 3 letters )

couldnt this been modified so that it can pick random letters ???

anyways any help on the catergories would be great

thanks
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

hollow wrote:hi i own an irc server running trivia 2000

i have a problem with it
only 3 of the questions categorys work

the rest wont i have checked and double checked and cant find anything wrong

i also have a request
is it possible that you could modify the way that it gives hints (its always gives the first 3 letters )

couldnt this been modified so that it can pick random letters ???

anyways any help on the catergories would be great

thanks
Assuming you havent changed anything else in the script and have copied all the question txt files into the scripts directory then it can only be the paths for the files are wrong or possibly the file permissions are wrong (but it only needs read which should be a minimum default on servers anyway).

Find this bit at the top of the script:

#The data files need to be held on your shell account.
#Set your questions data files here
set geography /home/username/botdir/scripts/geography.txt
set entertain /home/username/botdir/scripts/entertainment.txt
set history /home/username/botdir/scripts/history.txt
set art_lit /home/username/botdir/scripts/art_lit.txt
set sci_nat /home/username/botdir/scripts/science_nature.txt
set spo_lei /home/username/botdir/scripts/sport_leisure.txt
set queen /home/username/botdir/scripts/queen.txt
And make sure all of them are definitely set to the correct path to your bots scripts directory.

Failing that there is no reason for them not to work.

As far as the hints section goes, I originally wrote several different types of hints systems and tried them out with users in a chat room one of my bots sits in and they all agreed they preferred that one for its simplicity, I agree that wont necessarily be the case in all chat rooms but its the one they liked and as a result the one I went with. I "may" one day write in a choice of hint systems into the script but I have higher priorities on the list for it at the moment :D
L
Leo
Voice

Post by Leo »

Hi, my first post here, with a problem. I get an error in Trivia script, after a succesful answer I see in partyline: "Tcl error [answercheck]: couldn't open "/home/leo/score": illegal operation on a directory". The folder is there and cmod 777. Any help would be appreciated. :cry:
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Hi Leo,

I know you've already got this working after the email conversation we had using the instructions below, but I'll post it in here too for anyone else.
Ian-Highlander wrote:"score" shouldnt be a folder its a file and the bot should create it on its own, if it cant then your home directory doesnt have the correct permissions set. I'd suggest you change it to /home/leo/scripts/score and delete any folders you have created called score and restart the bot and see if it works. It should create a file called simply "score" in your bots scripts directory as soon as someone gets a question right.
Glad I could help.

Cheers

Ian
L
Leo
Voice

Post by Leo »

Yes Ian, thanks for the help. I did thought that "score" wes a folder. After deleting the folder I had made the script worked just fine :wink:
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Its on my list to document that better with the next release as a lot of people have the same problem, I should have made it clearer in the comments. It will be adjusted for the next release which I'm working on at the moment :D
N
Nohani
Voice

Post by Nohani »

I'm interested to install Trivia 2000. But I could not get any instructions on how to install it.

Could you please let me know what shall I do after uploading these files to eggdrop dir.

Thanks
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Upload the question text files and the tcl file to your bots script directory, change the paths in this section to the correct paths to that directory for your bot.

#The data files need to be held on your shell account.
#Set your questions data files here
set geography /home/username/botdir/scripts/geography.txt
set entertain /home/username/botdir/scripts/entertainment.txt
set history /home/username/botdir/scripts/history.txt
set art_lit /home/username/botdir/scripts/art_lit.txt
set sci_nat /home/username/botdir/scripts/science_nature.txt
set spo_lei /home/username/botdir/scripts/sport_leisure.txt
set queen /home/username/botdir/scripts/queen.txt

#Set your scores data file here
set scores /home/username/botdir/scripts/score
Then add this to the bottom of your bots config file and rehash your bot (adjust the file name if you are using a different version).

source scripts/trivia_2000v2.1.tcl
The script should run just fine with all the other settings on default if you dont want to play around with it. Issuing the command !help will list off all the commands for you.

:D
N
Nohani
Voice

Post by Nohani »

Thanks. It worked. but now I get the following message when I say !start in channel
Sorry My_Nick, 'Trivia 2000' is not running in #My_Channel try going to #trivia its playing there : o )
Whats the problem now ?
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Sorry I missed one basic setting in my instructions above (although if you'd bothered to look at the user config section of the script you'd have found it easily enough).

#Set the name of the channel the script is running in here
set gamechan "#trivia"
Change that to the room you want it to run in. Please try reading through the script header and user config section its all very clearly labelled in there. :D