This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Encrypt shell account to prevent someone to spy

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
sKy
Op

Encrypt shell account to prevent someone to spy

Post by sKy »

Is there any way to encrypt the shell folder and to start the process anyway?
socketapi | Code less, create more.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

There are a few projects that add encryption to eggdrops.. I think evangeline is well-spoken of by some other members here..

Keep in mind that encryption alone generally won't keep your eggdrop (or it's data) much safer than a normal eggie. Also, I'm not so sure 'bout using a shell you don't trust.

Besides, should your shell-account be hacked/compromized, I'd considder anything stored under that same account compromized aswell..
NML_375
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

What is evangeline?

I know thatt encryption alone won`t make a bot secure, there are a few important things like script securty or the securty tips from egghelp.org. It`s just the icing on the cake.

Is this possible or not, or better aksed, would this help to make it more secure or not?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

sKy wrote:What is evangeline?
Google.com
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

Sorry, but this answer incrases your posting counter but does not really help me. You could aswer each topic with google but that`s not the point of a forum. Nvm.

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/irc/evangeline.html
That`s all what you can find about it on google.

Evagline is some kind of modified eggdrop. But i didn`t ask from an modified eggdrop. I was asking for a way to encrypt a shells folder. You can do with a shell then just running an eggdrop.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

sKy wrote:Sorry, but this answer incrases your posting counter but does not really help me. You could aswer each topic with google but that`s not the point of a forum. Nvm.
We help those that help themselves. If one does not make the effort then expect nothing in return.

An effort is (always) required on the part of the poster and only after other avenues have been exhausted; THAT is what forums are all about.

As for making a shell "safe" it's a simple matter of common sense on the part of the person that setup the box: There is much to be found on the Internet regarding such security matters.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

sKy wrote:...
Evagline is some kind of modified eggdrop. But i didn`t ask from an modified eggdrop. I was asking for a way to encrypt a shells folder. You can do with a shell then just running an eggdrop.
Then I guess you'd be better off asking in a general shells-forum, rather an eggdrop-speciffic forum (yes, the speciffic group you posted in is called "Shell & Bouncer Help").

I guess you could always budge your admin into using cryptoloop or AES-loop to encrypt the filesystem. Would really only be useful should someone steals the harddrive it resides on tho...
NML_375
KrzychuG
Master

Post by KrzychuG »

sKy wrote: http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/irc/evangeline.html
That`s all what you can find about it on google.
Actually you can find a bit more, like for example Readme file, but as you noticed it's an Eggdrop modification which encrypts some important files. It won't help you encrypt whole directory.

I don't think you'll be able to find any software which allow you to do that. There is loop-AES project, there is bestcrypt and few others but you need root access to install that kind of software, load proper modules and mount encrypted filesystem. It's rather impossible for regular user and that's what you usually get from shell providers.
Que?