This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

BUG if *^*!*@* is banned and user with ! in ident joins

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
h
hellohello
Voice

BUG if *^*!*@* is banned and user with ! in ident joins

Post by hellohello »

Take a look at this, occurred at IRCNet:

(!) hellohello [~foo!bar@somehost.com] has joined #channel
(!) mode/#channel [+b *^*!*@*] by eggdrop
(!) hellohello was kicked from #Channel by eggdrop [banned]
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

If you're convinced it's a bug, report it to Eggheads.org (there's a file called BUG-REPORT with further details on how to do that, you can find it in your ./doc/ directory from where you installed your eggdrop).

Keep in mind however, that eggdrop matches bans case-insensitive, and on rfc1459-compliant networks, ^ and ~ are upper- and lowercase of the same character.

So, to be honest, what you are experiencing would, atleast to me, seem like propriate behaviour.

Given the case-insensitivity and rfc1459, "*^*!*@*" surely matches "hellohello!~foo!bar@somehost.com", just as "*~*!*@*" would.
NML_375
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

Doesn't look like a bug to me, looks like a bad banmask.. If you were trying to ban people with ! or ^ (or other special chars) in their name, you'd be better off using a script like one of the badnick or bad whois scripts. Your banmask looks awful close to *!*@* which would ban everyone.
h
hellohello
Voice

Post by hellohello »

I'll go with NML - since the ircd guys don't see a reason to disallow !'s in the username, it's probably not a bug but a feature ;-)