This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

noob HELP PLZ:How to quit irc client without quiting bouncer

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
d
donking
Halfop

noob HELP PLZ:How to quit irc client without quiting bouncer

Post by donking »

NOOB need HELP! please. I am using psyBNC.

I do the following:

/BCONNECT
/join #somechannel
/BQUIT

/BCONNECT (when I do this, I automatically taken to #somechannel, but at the top of the channel it says I have just signed in. Like this "bla bla me@someip has signed in"). Reason I am getting this is because, my guess is that the bouncer is connecting, disconnecting and reconnecting when I issue the above commands.

I want the bouncer to stay connected to the irc server's channel.

All I want to do is disconnect the irc client. What command do I use? I am have read the readme file. I didn't get it. /BCONNECT just connect the bouncer to IRC Server? When you do /BQUIT, then the bouncer is quitting the IRC Server?

What I need is, have the bouncer logged into the irc server and the channel. I just want to disconnect the irc client. If I want to disconnect irc client, all I have to do is hit disconnect irc client button located on irc client?

When I decide to log back at the bouncer via irc client, I login to the bouncer, would this automatically open the irc server it was connected to and open the window for the channel I was in before?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Just disconnect your client like usual, and your bnc will remain connected. /bconnect, /bquit, etc are to manipulate the bouncer, only use these when you need to change server or such.
NML_375
d
donking
Halfop

Post by donking »

nml375 wrote:Just disconnect your client like usual, and your bnc will remain connected. /bconnect, /bquit, etc are to manipulate the bouncer, only use these when you need to change server or such.
When I connect back to bouncer via my irc client, bouncer directs me to the channel that I have opened earlier. I have one problem. It doesn't use the bouncer's virtual host. Its using my isp provided IP address and dns.

Why is this? I just wanted to setup bouncer so I can get the irc messages while I am offline and also to mask my isp provided IP address and dns.

When I reconnect the client back to my bouncer, it doesn't mask my ip/dns with vhost. Why is this? Any solution to have it also mask my ip/dns while I am logged in?
d
donking
Halfop

Post by donking »

I can't seem to get my bouncer to mask my ip using vhost. I connect the bouncer to irc server and join the channel. bouncer connects and uses the vhost. Now I disconnect my client. I am using user=somename.

Then I reconnect to my bouncer through irc client using the same user, user=somename. Bouncer takes me directly to the irc server and the channel. On the channel it says, I have joined and displays my ip, not my vhost.

psyBNC doesn't support this functinality? Or I have to setup another user in my bouncer to connect/reconnect just while I am online? And another user for my offline access?

I have spent all day trying all kinds of things, it is not working. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
DragnLord
Owner

Post by DragnLord »

donking wrote:When I connect back to bouncer via my irc client, bouncer directs me to the channel that I have opened earlier. I have one problem. It doesn't use the bouncer's virtual host. Its using my isp provided IP address and dns.
Have you verified this by running a whois on yourself after connecting?
Some bouncers give you the illusion that you are connected to the ircd with your actual IP so that your client sets it's DCC parameters correctly.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Actually, your client/script is showing your ISP IP but if you /whois yourself you'll see that you're connected under a virtual host.
DragnLord
Owner

Post by DragnLord »

Sir_Fz wrote:Actually, your client/script is showing your ISP IP but if you /whois yourself you'll see that you're connected under a virtual host.
Didn't I already say that? :lol:
d
donking
Halfop

Post by donking »

Thanks for the help. You guys are great. When I did /whois, vhost is being used. One more thing.

what is i,n in front when you do /whois username? I get the output as such:

username i=username@some_vhost. what does i stand for, in i=username@blahblah?

I have seen i and n. What is i and n mean?