This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

ensure that no one finds out the bot's real ip

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
d
desired
Voice

ensure that no one finds out the bot's real ip

Post by desired »

I developed a script which ensures - if there are no bugs left in my script - that the bot's real hostname / ip address is always hidden to all public channel visitors. If the ip of the bot is hidden, then the ip of the shell is hidden. If there is no ip this makes any attempts to hack the shell a lot harder.

It is only interesting for people who care a lot about security and paranoids.

Quaknet (and other networks) allow to cloak the hostname, but on most networks, only if setup und registered. When the bot connects he will normally join few channels, real ip adress can be seen by anyone in channel and he will register afterwards and take the cloaked hostname.

What this script does...
- on any event when the bot could lose it's fakehost it will set all channels inactive and give the bot a random nickname
- then join a trusted secret channel and wait until the bot gets the cloaked hostname (joining at least one secure channel is required, otherwise the bot won't register it's change of hostname)
- after the hostname is cloaked it will set all channels active again
- no one will be able to ever find out the bot's real ip address

limitations:
- It does currently only work on Quakenet. The host check is hardcoded to Quaknet. With minor programming skills it may be adjusted to any other network. If there is interested I may adjust this.
- Of course, this will only work if your network does offer a service to cloak hostnames. There is no magic involved.
- Note: this has nothing to do with proxys. It relies on the network's service to cloak hostnames.

pre-requirements:
- You have to ensure that your bot gets the cloaked hostname (on Quakenet: authed to Q and mode +x set). The task ensure registering to the service and enabling the mode to cloak the hostname is your task, a task of another script, and not part of this script.

Why I plan to release?
- I hope for testes, feedback, suggestions, concept review, bugfixes (if any).

Where is the release?
- I would need to clean up the code for public release. This would take few days. If there is any interest in such a script I will do it.
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.