This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

MegaHAL responding twice after every unexpected shutdown

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
S
Sane
Voice

MegaHAL responding twice after every unexpected shutdown

Post by Sane »

Hi,

I have an issue with MegaHAL - lets say for e.g. that I'm editing a script but there's something wrong with it, like a missing close brace for example, and when the bot is rehashed or restarted, it dies or won't start, which is normal but that's when the MegaHAL issue occurs. When I fix the script issue whatever it may be and load the bot onto the IRC network, and when I say the bot's nick (just the bot's nick) it responds twice, the first is the general random response it gives based on words/phrases you've used, and the other is 'So tell me something already'. Then I have to load a back-up which doesn't have that issue and just responds with 'So tell me something already' only; and that's the only response it should give when just its nick is said.

This issue is really frustrating and I'm not sure why it happens or how to prevent it from happening. My eggdrop version is 1.6.19+SSL, and my MegaHAL version is 3.5 by Zev ^Baron^ Toledano. (Linux '.so' version)

I have heard about this issue before but it was supposed to have been fixed in MegaHAL version 3.5; which is the version that I'm using...
* Ver 3.5: Jul 2009
* - Made .forget detect smaller words
* - Fixed bug with newer eggdrops where it was responding twice <--
* - Chat now ignores pub channel commands
* - Fixed some buffer overruns
* - Removed more compilation warnings
Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea on how to stop it from happening?

Edit: I did some testing and I found out the following:
1) If I say just my bot's nick without the colon in front of its nick, it only responds once with "Sane: So tell me something already."

2) If I say just my bot's nick with the colon in front of its nick (I.E TAB completed), it responds twice, once with a random sentence and the second time with "Sane: So tell me something already."

It's like it thinks the colon is you speaking to it, so it responds once with a sentence relating to what you said even though it was just a colon, (there wasn't a space in front of the colon either, just "Botnick:" <without the quotation marks obviously>) and second it also thinks you only just mentioned its nick with nothing else too. It's confused almost.

---

Edit2: Further to my testing I decided to test a few other peoples' eggdrop bots and the one's I tested (2 others); both had the same issue, I then decided to check out how 'sp33chy' responded (for those familiar with it) and sure enough it responds how its supposed to. This is how I want my bot to respond:

Code: Select all

<Sane> I just want to test something
<Sane> sp33chy
<@sp33chy> Sp33chy got the answer: syndicate in 33.041 seconds. Joints: 1.5 rank: 395th.
<Sane> sp33chy:
<@sp33chy> Sane: So tell me something already.
---

Edit3: I decided to check how my bot responded to just its nick with a comma after it "Botnick," and it responds with a random sentence. I also decided to check how 'sp33chy' responded to "sp33chy," and it responds like:

Code: Select all

<Sane> sp33chy,
<@sp33chy> Sane: So tell me something already.
That ^, which is also the way I want my bot to respond... Please help me fix this $%!^

---

Edit4: It turns out that the 'sp33chy' bot was using a different MegaHAL version by BakerJR. And the way it responds to its nick etc.. is better but it's kind of an inferior version overall. I guess my bot is stuck the way it is.