This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Bandwidth Question

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
c
cache
Master

Bandwidth Question

Post by cache »

Just a question here.. If you had DSL or Cable in:

Downstream Speed: Up to 3.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

How many bots do you think can connect and just run a few commands each day? and How many you think can have Trivia on 24/7?
spithash
Master

Post by spithash »

That depends on how many users are in the channels. which also means, the more users, the more commands the bot can take without lagging.

I think in my opinion, 2 maybe 3 bots should be OK. it's not that much bandwidth, it's just a fre bytes per !trigger.

As for the trivia 24/7, that depends on the users playing at the same time as well. but yeah, I think 2 or 3 bots should be OK I suppose.

That question is kinda tricky if you know what I mean :)

I would test it with 1 to begin with..
Then add the 2nd.. see if it's lagging, and then load up some more..

Play with it, tell us what happens, would be interesting if you share that :)

It's always fun to share your experience! :wink:
Libera ##rtlsdr & ##re - Nick: spithash
Click here for troll.tcl
c
cache
Master

Post by cache »

I have done it before on the specs I listed above, I had like 50 bots on, few rooms played trivia, rooms usually had 25 ppl for trivia, and 100 ppl for general chat... Nothing ever lagged, so I just wondered if anyone knew the limit on it lol.
spithash
Master

Post by spithash »

true that :)

I used to run a windrop on a 56K modem running trivia as well, not much more, I think bseen and lol.tcl for some public commands. it didn't lag for me either.

I don't know what kind of channel you want to run it for. I mean, if it's a 300users channel.. I don't know.. I can't be sure. testing is always the best friend :D
Click here for troll.tcl
spithash
Master

Post by spithash »

To be honest, why would it lag if you don't keep stats or logging or generally scripts/modules that use cpu?

As for the internet bandwidth and the lagging part of it, I think it's just a few bytes.
Click here for troll.tcl