This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop Telnet Client

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

desired - I'm sorry, i don't know.

Perhaps you should start another thread but I don't expect you'll get much response. Sounds like a huge amount of effort for little or no material advantage.

I would like to keep this thread for Defero users to provide me with the feedback I need.
I must have had nothing to do
p
pseudo
Halfop

Post by pseudo »

desired wrote: Does your Eggdrop Telnet Client support IPv6?

And as for encryption.... I also never comprehended why we the eggdrop partyline is cleartext (where you can execute shell command while everything else is fine (encrypted botnet, SSH to shell, SSL to irc).
None of the released eggdrop versions support any kind of encryption. 1.8 does and it is not released yet (look below). The botnet has always been clear text, there is no ssl server support and as you correctly said, the partyline is no exception.
arfer wrote: desired - I'm sorry, i don't know.

Perhaps you should start another thread but I don't expect you'll get much response. Sounds like a huge amount of effort for little or no material advantage.
This has clear advantages and is already implemented in the development version - 1.8. It supports TLS transport for every kind of connection possible. Anybody interested could get a snapshot and try it out.

Code: Select all

[pseudo@pseudo]:~# openssl s_client -connect localhost:5555
CONNECTED(00000003)
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is AES256-SHA
Server public key is 2048 bit
Secure Renegotiation IS supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : AES256-SHA
    Session-ID: 72BE81C3A1CDE8459D1FDFAE7BBD7E7672CC2FD058740D2A0493EDCDD0276D8B
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key: AFFBFF8D1ADE843C5C55FA8A717F903D01B8F687DAAE10889701D1A55E855C7E3BEDA0F05C3E83114E97897DD871472A
    Key-Arg   : None
    Start Time: 1318191862
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 21 (unable to verify the first certificate)
---
яы
  ___                 _
 | __| __ _  __ _  __| | _ _  ___  _ __
 | _| / _` |/ _` |/ _` || '_|/ _ \| '_ \
 |___|\__, |\__, |\__,_||_|  \___/| .__/
      |___/ |___/                 |_|

Copyright (C) 1997 Robey Pointer
  Copyright (C) 1999 - 2010 Eggheads Development Team

Coredump  (Eggdrop v1.8.0+tclhashcrash (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2010 Eggheads)
d
desired
Voice

Post by desired »

arfer wrote:Sounds like a huge amount of effort for little or no material advantage.
Well, any middle man can intercept the password and insert his own commands into the stream. Without knowledge he can takeover control of the partyline and therefore execute tcl scripts, write to userspace (eggdrop runs as user) and run shell commands (as user, still dangerous as he could modify any makefiles and whatsoever and if he do make install afterwards as root we can install some evil stuff.

Unencrypted dcc was for me always a major security breach in the linux security concept, which is normally pretty well thought and secure.
pseudo wrote: This has clear advantages and is already implemented in the development version - 1.8. It supports TLS transport for every kind of connection possible. Anybody interested could get a snapshot and try it out.
Great news, thanks for posting! I am on it.

The open ssl client doesn't look so pretty and comfortable, but for the security it's worth it.

arfer, do you think it's worth to implement?
eggdrop running on Android powered mobile phone - Yes, it is possible! - Very reliable.
p
pseudo
Halfop

Post by pseudo »

desired wrote: Great news, thanks for posting! I am on it.

The open ssl client doesn't look so pretty and comfortable, but for the security it's worth it.

arfer, do you think it's worth to implement?
You could also use the telnet-ssl utility which is just normal telnet but over ssl. I've also added support for dcc over ssl, but unfortunately kvirc is the only IRC client to support DCC SCHAT which limits it's usability.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Thanks for your input regarding encryption. However, I won't be looking at it anytime soon.

CrazyCat, if you are still following this thread. I am around half way through the coding required to translate the interface. It is a much more extensive job than I envisaged. I have to keep it completely seperate from things like prompts for user login/password because it has to be made possible for say a French user with a French user interface to automatically login to a Danish language bot. I also have to add code to translate all the various windows forms, labels, buttons etc. I am hopeful you are still volunteering your expertise in providing French translation? If so, please pm me with your email address.

HELP NEEDED!! Anybody out there willing to translate to Danish, Finnish or German please.
t
thommey
Halfop

Post by thommey »

Which license is this piece of software released under?
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

I haven't given any thought to that yet thommey, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I don't suppose you could advise what would be suitable?

I know next to nothing about licencing. I have never before published software other than Tcl scripts. For now, and at the very least for the medium term, it is freely available for anyone to use. I am not particularly protective of the code but I can't see that it would benefit anybody by publishing it. The code is object pascal (delphi) plus the underlying socket technology, windows forms and form control events are simple enough to be readily emulated.
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: Eggdrop Telnet Client

Post by willyw »

arfer wrote:Looking for feedback from users of my Eggdrop Telnet Client (for windows OS) which I have called
Defero.

Have played around with it a little bit.
I like it. :)

Some things I noticed:

1.) When saving a Connection Name - spaces, numbers, and some chars (example is the period), are not allowed.

2.) I made a typo in a Connection Name, and didn't notice it until after I saved it. Used Edit button, but the Connection Name is grayed out.
Had to Delete that connection, and start over.

3.) When logged in bot, cannot highlight text and copy from the bot.

4.) None of the buttons seem to get any reaction from the bot at all.
Hover works, as I get the pop up. Click the button though, and nothing happens. Similar for the pull down menus. They appear, but trying them gets no reaction from the bot.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Will be happy to test/whatever, as you direct.

Although I am one that greatly prefers to use DCC chat with bot, I can see how this program could be very nice for folks that have insurmountable problems with DCC.
Thanks for creating it.

Defero version = 1.1.3.119
Bot version = 1.6.20

running Defero on Win 7 x64
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Thanks willyw, just the sort of feedback I need. I can explain most of the things you experienced, but I don't know if users want them changed. For the most part it is the lack of help files that cause the confusion. They always get left till last, though I'm actively considering online help at the moment.

I'm hoping you mean Defero version 1.1.3.109 and not 1.1.3.119, please advise

1 - 2. There is a regular expression limiting connection names to characters allowed in IRC nicks, since for the most part I would expect them to represent the bot's primary nick (though not essential).

'^[\x41-\x7D][-0-9\x41-\x7D]*$'

The one potential problem here is if you have two or more bots with the same primary nick but on two or more networks (Defero will not allow duplicate connection names). I would suggest connection names that distinguish yet observe IRC nick protocol, say mybot-dalnet, mybot-undernet etc.

I can obviously change this if it is not liked.

There is one thing I can't understand. If you enter characters outside the regex pattern range and try to save it, an error message box should appear. ie. you should not be able to save the connection string. I have tried my copy of 1.1.3.109 with a period and with a space in the connection name. Neither time would it let me save. Can you please give more detail because I'm not clear on what happened.

You are correct in establishing that connection names cannot be edited. You would have to delete and input again as new.

3. I have just added code in the last two days to allow a right click popup menu on the console. This will only allow copy, not cut or paste or anything else for that matter. I can't say when I'll be releasing a new version because I'm currently adding a lot of code to permit different interface languages, plus console and input area default fore and back color. I may release a version sooner rather than later which includes the translation code, but without the actual translations themselves. Volunteers are not really forthcoming.

4. I need more detail regarding your experience with buttons and menu items. Most should not work unless the connection is established AND you are on the partyline. The software title should change from :-

Defero

after connection to :-

Defero < connection name >

after joining the partyline to :-

Defero < connection name > < Partyline >

Please advise if you are successfully joining the partyline with Defero

Also, many of the menu items use partyline .tcl commands, so they will not yield the expected response unless .tcl partyline commands are enabled in the bot's .conf file. The default .conf file setting is also for partyline .tcl to be available for permanent owners only.

The main reason I built Defero is to automate the login process, which is particularly useful for switching between multiple bots on multiple networks. Once the connection string is entered, you need never enter username/password again.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

arfer wrote: ...
I'm hoping you mean Defero version 1.1.3.109 and not 1.1.3.119, please advise
My mistake. Sorry.
Just checked. Defero->Help->About
and version is 1.1.3.109
1 - 2.
I would suggest connection names that distinguish yet observe IRC nick protocol, say mybot-dalnet, mybot-undernet etc.
Something similar to that is what I ended up doing. :)

I discovered it because I was trying to do something like:
Servername Botnick as a description.

By the way, one of the server name's had a number in it. I had to change it to something else.
I can obviously change this if it is not liked.
Is there a reason to not change it?
There is one thing I can't understand. If you enter characters outside the regex pattern range and try to save it, an error message box should appear. ie. you should not be able to save the connection string. I have tried my copy of 1.1.3.109 with a period and with a space in the connection name. Neither time would it let me save. Can you please give more detail because I'm not clear on what happened.
That is exactly what happened. It was not allowed.
"There are invalid characters in connection name"
You are correct in establishing that connection names cannot be edited. You would have to delete and input again as new.
Will you be able to fix that?
3. I have just added code in the last two days to allow a right click popup menu on the console. This will only allow copy, not cut or paste or anything else for that matter.
Great!
If it can be copied, then it can be pasted elsewhere. That can be handy.

4. I need more detail regarding your experience with buttons and menu items. Most should not work unless the connection is established AND you are on the partyline. The software title should change from :-

Defero

after connection to :-

Defero < connection name >
Got this.
after joining the partyline to :-

Do not get this.

When I'm in partyline, the blue bar at the top is:
Defero <connection name>
Please advise if you are successfully joining the partyline with Defero
Yes
Also, many of the menu items use partyline .tcl commands, so they will not yield the expected response unless .tcl partyline commands are enabled in the bot's .conf file. The default .conf file setting is also for partyline .tcl to be available for permanent owners only.
I am permanent owner. Actually, I had two nicks in there as I sometimes use another. For the heck of it, I went and removed the one that I had not ever used yet with this bot.
Now there is only one nick:
set owner "mynick"
Did .restart
Logged off partyline with Defero.
Logged back on with Defero.
Same. Buttons and pull downs produce no reaction. Nothing happens.

.tcl is enabled. Sorry.. forgot to say that in my first post.
This:
.tcl putserv "privmsg $botnick : test test test"
entered in Defero, comes right back. :)
The main reason I built Defero is to automate the login process, which is particularly useful for switching between multiple bots on multiple networks. Once the connection string is entered, you need never enter username/password again.
I can see how that could be nice.

But please don't remove the Manual option. I tend to use it.
Reason: it keeps me from forgetting passwords! :)
This does bring a new question though:
Would it be possible to allow Auto to work just on the username?
leaving password to be typed in manually at the prompt?

Another question:
Is the up arrow key supposed to work, for repeating text?
If not, is that possible? That can be real handy too.

Thank you
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

I want to deal with the most important thing first, because you seem to have discovered a bug. If Defero does not say in the title :-

Then Defero has not successfully captured the fact, and will not activate the buttons and menu items. Can I ask you to do two things for me please :-

1. Exactly what text do you see in Defero's console telling you that you joined the partyline. This needs to be precise.

2. Can you edit one of your connection strings to change the login mode to auto and check if you now get the expected title after joining the partyline.

Thanks
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

arfer wrote:I want to deal with the most important thing first, because you seem to have discovered a bug.
I understand.
If Defero does not say in the title :-

Then Defero has not successfully captured the fact, and will not activate the buttons and menu items. Can I ask you to do two things for me please :-

1. Exactly what text do you see in Defero's console telling you that you joined the partyline. This needs to be precise.
Now is one of those times it would be nice to be able to copy, eh? :wink:

I see:

Enter your password

Connected to <botnick>, running eggdrop v1.6.20

[ here is EGGDROP in the big letters, followed by ... is it motd?... all the
stuff about .help, and so on. If you need all this, I'll screen capture it and post it somewhere for you to see. Let me know. ]

Last I see:
You have no messages.
... <mynick> joined the party line.

2. Can you edit one of your connection strings to change the login mode to auto and check if you now get the expected title after joining the partyline.

Thanks
I've just experimented with this with one bot.
That did it!
On Auto, the title was as you described... I see <Partyline> as the third and last item there.

I tried a few pull downs. Things happen now. Did not try them all.

New question:
Is the Clear button supposed to clear the screen?
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Thanks very much for this. I see the problem

The text is searched for '*** varUser has joined the party line'

However, you are permitted to leave login username and login password blank for manual login. In which case varUser is an empty string and the text is not matched. I can't fix this until the next version. Stupid really. There was no need for me to include varUser since you will not see similar text relating to somebody else joining until you yourself have joined. Once you have joined the partyline it ceases to search.

As a temporary solution always input login username even for manual login.

-----------------------------------------

The input and clear buttons refer to the input area and not the console. They are somewhat superfluous, you can use Enter and Esc keys.

Not sure what you mean by one of the server names having a number in it. Telnet hosts, login username and connection name are allowed to have numbers (but not the first character of the two latter fields) :-

There isn't a strong reason to restrict connection names to IRC nick protocol but I didn't want to leave it as free text.

The fact that you cannot edit a connection name does not require a fix, it is deliberate. You are editing the telnet connection fields associated with a connection name. I think for the rare occasions a user wants to change the connection name, then it is appropriate to delete and add a new connection. It sure saves on a lot of duplicate coding.

I have created a history string list, which is manipulated as normal by the up and down cursor keys, assuming that is what you mean.

-------------------------------------

Thanks again for finding the bug. Exactly why I need feedback
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

arfer wrote:Thanks very much for this. I see the problem

The text is searched for '*** varUser has joined the party line'
As a temporary solution always input login username even for manual login.
Ok.
Tnx for looking into it so quickly.
-----------------------------------------

The input and clear buttons refer to the input area and not the console. They are somewhat superfluous, you can use Enter and Esc keys.
Ah.
Ok.
I was probably using Enter and Backspace, without thinking.

Not sure what you mean by one of the server names having a number in it. Telnet hosts, login username and connection name are allowed to have numbers (but not the first character of the two latter fields) :-
I would have sworn that when it was not letting me save, I had to go back and take out the numeral in the servername that I was using in Connection Name.
Just tried it, again. It does allow it.

My mistake. Sorry.

There isn't a strong reason to restrict connection names to IRC nick protocol but I didn't want to leave it as free text.
Since it seems to just be a description, I assumed that any text that made it easy for me read and identify, would be allowed.

The fact that you cannot edit a connection name does not require a fix,
A difference of opinion then. :)
it is deliberate. You are editing the telnet connection fields associated with a connection name. I think for the rare occasions a user wants to change the connection name, then it is appropriate to delete and add a new connection. It sure saves on a lot of duplicate coding.
If it saves you a lot of work, then that is certainly understandable.
I have created a history string list, which is manipulated as normal by the up and down cursor keys, assuming that is what you mean.
I use mIRC as my chat client.
There are times that I've found it very handy to be able to simply hit the up arrow, to repeat commands when in DCC chat with bot.

To be able to do that with your client would be very nice - - if it does not entail a lot of time and work for you to do it.

-------------------------------------

Thanks again for finding the bug. Exactly why I need feedback
You are welcome.

But :
Thank you!

I find myself sometimes chatting with folks that are trying to set up an Eggdrop for the first time.
When we get to the time to DCC chat with the bot, sometimes that is a big time consuming stumbling block to get over. Usually, it is their client, or their router/firewall.

Using telnet has always been an option.

But, it just was not as nice.
Even once the connection was made, one could not use the up arrow, or copy n paste. Scroll back could be a pain.

What you've got here, is fairly straight forward to get going.
It is pleasing to the eye.
Add to that, the couple things we've talked about, and it might be a big boon to new comers to Eggdrop.
:)
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Noticed something else, too.

I was logged in bot via DCC chat with mIRC, at same time as experimenting with Defero.

When using the Disconnect button in Defero, this appears in partyline:

<botnick> [16:04:57] Lost dcc connection to <myhandle> (telnet@pool-xxx-xx-xxx-xxx.*******.****.*******.net/61803)
<botnick> *** <myhandle> lost dcc link.
versus logging off by entering .quit :

<botnick> [16:05:32] DCC connection closed (****!telnet@pool-xxx-xx-xxx-xxx.******.****.******.net)
<botnick> *** <myhandle> left the party line.

I mention this, because I don't know if there are some set of circumstances that it could matter ... a difference between a proper log off, and simply blinking out.