This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Headlines script. Retreiving news now.

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
l
lee8oi
Halfop

Headlines script. Retreiving news now.

Post by lee8oi »

headlines eggdrop script by lee8oi@gmail.com
http://code.google.com/p/headlines-script/

There's plenty of eggdrop news syndication scripts if you are looking for something automatic. This script is for retrieving news headlines(titles w/links) Right from the source. The source can be a feed url directly or it can be the name of one of the preconfigured feeds followed by the number of headlines you would like. The output is sent to your nick through the irc notice system keeping the public channels spam free. The direct approach to handling feeds allows the script manage more news sources and it keeps a small foot print in memory because nothing is stored, and nothing is running when nobody is reading the news. We only get the headlines we ask for, when we ask for them, nothing else.

This script is currently written for utf-8 patched bots and assumes the users system is utf-8. It currenly supports RSS and Atom feeds.

Note: Encoding issues are common. If you have problems please make sure your bot is patched for utf-8 as outlined here: http://eggwiki.org/Utf-8

If you still have problems consider updating to the latest tcl8.6 and recompiling your bot. This script DOES WORK. Its just hard to detect & fix all the possible encoding issues up front. I'll work in the fixes as I go. Check the 'Custom Charsets' section in 'Configuration' for more information about setting charsets for specific feeds.

Currently you can call the rss script from any channel the bot resides in or by using /msg or /query. The output is 'noticed' directly to you.

Usage:

Retrieve news:
!news <feedname-or-url> ?how-many?

List the available feeds
!feeds
B
BigToe
Halfop

Post by BigToe »

Hey lee8oi,

Good stuff. though I don't see a download link there?
l
lee8oi
Halfop

Oops

Post by lee8oi »

Hehe. ok its in the downloads section of the google code project page. Sorry. I'm sorta new to google code. Didn't realize there was a separate section for the download links.