This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Help with psyBNC logging

Help with usage of shell accounts and bouncers.
w
william
Voice

Help with psyBNC logging

Post by william »

Hi,

I've looked around for an answer on the web, but after reading a handful websites I'm still confused as to what I can do with logging in psyBNC.

I'm using psyBNC2.3.2-4 and I keep it permanently connected to mIRC because I am having problems with my ISP at the moment and I get disconnected quite frequently (as often as every 3 minutes sometimes).

Because my ISP disconnects me without warning I always time out of my connection (so my private log isn't activated until it is too late).

In an ideal world I would like my bouncer to log all my queries and channels (so that i can catch up what i missed when i was timing out), but delete all logs older than five or ten minutes (to save on HD space).

Now, even with my limited knowledge, I can tell that this isn't likely to be possible. So a less ambitious question is how do i log all private messages from a single user (let's call her LamestGF) regardless of whether I am connected or disconnected from the Bouncer?

I thought it might be:

Code: Select all

/addlog UnderNet~LamestGF :*
but that isn't working.

I hope that all made sense.

Will
no link
DragnLord
Owner

Post by DragnLord »

1) psybnc will log private messages without an addlog (addlog is for channels)

2) "addlog #channel :*" will log all channel events for #channel

3) to read the channel logs, it can be easier to use "quote playtrafficlog last"

P.S. If you are using multiple networks you have to define the network, which gets a little trickier.
w
william
Voice

Post by william »

ah okay, thanks for your help. It doesn't look like I can do what i want to do. I need psyBNC to log my private messages all the time, because the private log is only activated when the bouncer thinks i am offline (which is five minutes after i actually go offline if i get disconnected from my isp and time out).
no link
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

william wrote:ah okay, thanks for your help. It doesn't look like I can do what i want to do. I need psyBNC to log my private messages all the time, because the private log is only activated when the bouncer thinks i am offline (which is five minutes after i actually go offline if i get disconnected from my isp and time out).
psyBNC logs all private messages by default, calling it 'privatelog'. Typing '/quote playprivatelog' places your messages into the psyBNC window of your client. Read Jestrix's psyBNC tutorial or -heaven forbid- the 'README' file included with your psy for more information
:mrgreen:
w
william
Voice

Post by william »

First of all YooHoo, don't patronise me. Secondly if you're going to quote something READ IT FIRST.

Here is what your FAQ says about the private log:
/playprivatelog -- plays the log of all messages sent to you when you were disconnected from the bnc. The log will be opened in a window called -psyBNC.
Here is what I said about the private log:
I need psyBNC to log my private messages all the time, because the private log is only activated when the bouncer thinks i am offline
Let me explain again:

I would like to know if there is a way to make psyBNC log my private messages all the time regardless of whether i am online or offline. Because otherwise I miss the things other people say to me when i am disconnect from my isp and my connection to my bouncer is timing out.

If you still need any further clarification YooHoo, then don't hesitate to ask.
DragnLord
Owner

Post by DragnLord »

William, you may be better off using the BitchX (BX) IRC client.
Most shell companies have that client installed. Check if your shell host has screen installed (again, most do).
Then BX can be started from the shell by using screen as such: screen BitchX -H <my.vhost.of.choice> -n <Nickname> -a <default.server.to.connect.to>

In this way the screen program will keep the client active even when your connection to the client drops (then you simply scroll up to see what you've missed).
demond
Revered One

Re: ...

Post by demond »

william wrote:First of all YooHoo, don't patronise me. Secondly if you're going to quote something READ IT FIRST.

Here is what your FAQ says about the private log:
/playprivatelog -- plays the log of all messages sent to you when you were disconnected from the bnc. The log will be opened in a window called -psyBNC.
Here is what I said about the private log:
I need psyBNC to log my private messages all the time, because the private log is only activated when the bouncer thinks i am offline
Let me explain again:

I would like to know if there is a way to make psyBNC log my private messages all the time regardless of whether i am online or offline. Because otherwise I miss the things other people say to me when i am disconnect from my isp and my connection to my bouncer is timing out.

If you still need any further clarification YooHoo, then don't hesitate to ask.
it's you who needs clarification dude

psyBNC is merely a proxy, not IRC client - so naturally it features logging only while you are disconnected from it

when you are connected to it, use your IRC client logging capabilities

as of the time that passes until your psyBNC discovers you have ping timeout-ed, it can't be helped - live with it (or find a better ISP, one that at least correctly terminates your TCP connections)
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

william wrote:First of all YooHoo, don't patronise me. Secondly if you're going to quote something READ IT FIRST.
Is this the new way to make friends and influence them?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

:roll: please accept my apologies for being such an ass, william.. i didn't mean to patronize you
w
william
Voice

Post by william »

No, problem.

Sorry about flaming you. You know, long day etc.

Will
no link
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

william wrote:No, problem.

Sorry about flaming you. You know, long day etc.

Will
8) dcc send me a beer, and we'll be copasetic
did you ever solve your logging problem, btw?
w
william
Voice

nope

Post by william »

i don't think what i am looking for is possible. But I'll be back on a stable net connection in a week anyway. So it doesn't really matter
no link
p
pjukka
Voice

Post by pjukka »

DragnLord wrote:1) psybnc will log private messages without an addlog (addlog is for channels)

2) "addlog #channel :*" will log all channel events for #channel

3) to read the channel logs, it can be easier to use "quote playtrafficlog last"

P.S. If you are using multiple networks you have to define the network, which gets a little trickier.
If i use multiple networks, how i can get it work? Example a'#mychannel
m
meli196
Voice

Post by meli196 »

Hello guys,

i'm having the same problemo :)

i want to use multiple network also, but cannot seem to work for me .

Any suggestions ?

thanks
meli196