This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

eggdrop doesnt respond in channel

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
w
wigums
Voice

eggdrop doesnt respond in channel

Post by wigums »

i have eggdrop 1.8.3 and it does not respond to commands in channel. however all works fine in dcc chat / telnet. i have no idea where to start looking.
thanks in advance for any help
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: eggdrop doesnt respond in channel

Post by willyw »

wigums wrote:i have eggdrop 1.8.3 and it does not respond to commands in channel. ...
What commands?
Show us here, what you tried.
however all works fine in dcc chat / telnet.
Good.
i have no idea where to start looking.
I suspect that you somehow have the idea that ALL the commands that you can use while logged into the bot (on the partyline) via dcc chat, are also available to you as commands in a channel or via pm.
They are not.

If you want some commands to be available in a channel, then you need a script to do that.

If you want some commands to be available via pm to the bot, Eggdrop comes with a very limited few available.
You can easily get the bot to list them with:
/msg botnick help

If you want more than what the bot lists for you that way, then again - you will need a script to do that.

The best way to command and control your bot, is just how it is designed - for you to log into it via dcc or telnet, and to control it from within.
Obviously, this is password protected. It also requires a matching hostmask, Remember: scripts are only as secure as the scripter made them.
I just log into bots as a habit, after I connect to an irc server and even before I join any channels... and just stay logged into bot(s). Simple. :)

I hope this helps.

p.s.
You might like to visit this page and do some reading:
http://www.egghelp.org/commands/irc.htm#msg_help
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
b
barman
Voice

Re: eggdrop doesnt respond in channel

Post by barman »

wigums wrote:i have eggdrop 1.8.3 and it does not respond to commands in channel. however all works fine in dcc chat / telnet. i have no idea where to start looking.
Can you tell me where you are using the eggdrop (network/channel)