This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

unauthorized Telnet connection

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

I get a lot of SSH brute-force attack attempts on my server (where authentication is done via a private key anyway), so it's no surprise to me that your server has been port scanned and now your telnet gets a lot of attention.

The best way to end with this pesky issue once and forever is to set the telnet host on your bot to the IP or lis of IP you trust. If you look at *.user (where * is what you set in eggdrop.conf file at set userfile line), for example LamestBot.user (in my case) you should see at the top of your user a line like this:

Code: Select all

--HOSTS -telnet!*@*
that basically translates it will accept a telnet connection from anyone (the * behind @ means everyone). So, if you change that line for example to:

Code: Select all

--HOSTS -telnet!*@1.2.3.4
then it will accept a telnet connection ONLY from 1.2.3.4, and any other IP connection is dropped.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
KhashayaR
Voice

Post by KhashayaR »

Thanks alot for your help, i will do as you advise and hopefully no more attack, :)
===
IRC Network: DALnet
Nick: KhashayaR
===