This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

add channel

Discussion of Eggdrop's code and module programming in C.
r
roger
Halfop

add channel

Post by roger »

not sure about being in the right place but here goes, been using eggdrop 1.8.4 been working great.
little prob appeared about a week ago, bot joins a channel called "mychannel" i remove it by doing .-chan #mychannel, but on next reboot it joins there again. the add channel in config file is commented out so am at a loss as to where this is comming from
thanks for any and all help :) :)
w
willyw
Revered One

Re: add channel

Post by willyw »

roger wrote:...
little prob appeared about a week ago, bot joins a channel called "mychannel" i remove it by doing .-chan #mychannel, but on next reboot it joins there again. the add channel in config file is commented out so am at a loss as to where this is comming from
thanks for any and all help :) :)
Channel settings are stored in the .chan file (whatever you named it, in eggdrop.conf)

It sounds like - for some reason - the change to that file is not happening when you do .-chan #mychannel.

If ever the channel was added via eggdrop.conf itself, then it would not be a dynamic channel ( one added via .+chan partyline command).
Even if you commented it out, later.

Honestly, I can't remember if you are even allowed to .-chan a permanent channel like that. For a long time now, it has been recommended to NOT add channels via eggdrop.conf, but to only use .+chan . I always do it that way because I want to get control of the bot (say Hello, set pass, log in, etc. ) BEFORE it ever joins a channel.
So, I forgot if you can .-chan such a channel, or not.

You CAN set it +inactive though. That means that it still exists in the .chan file, but is inactive. Means that bot won't join that channel.

Try: .chaninfo #mychannel
and I bet that right now, it is -inactive.

Then do: .chanset #mychannel +inactive
to change that. Bot will leave #mychannel.

Do: .chaninfo #mychannel again, and see that it is +inactive now.

Do: .chansave to be sure it is saved. (Bot saves periodically on it's own eventually anyway)

Do: .status and at the bottom of the report you'll see all channels in the bot's chan file, and their current status.

If #mychannel is a permanent chan, there is a way to get it out of there, if you really want to. But that's for later. Let's get past your current question first. :)

I hope this helps.
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
r
roger
Halfop

thank you

Post by roger »

as per your instructions all is well now, even the server admiins are happy :D